MP v1.6 - Crashes on startup onWindows 8.1 (1 Viewer)

HrMartinussen

April 11, 2014
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Just got my new Gigabyte BRIX GB-XM12-3227 i3-3227U so I installed Windows 8.1 and got ready to install MediaPortal. I have been running MP on two other computers for a long time without any problems.

I started by installing MP2 Alpha 4 but it would not start up, so I used the supplied uninstaller to remove it again. Then I installed version 1.6 (default install), StreamedMP (which I also run on my main HTPC) and Subcentral. I activated MP-Movies Plugin and the PowerScheduler and got ready to start it up. But it crashes before MP is actually launched. Both when running as administrator and normally.

I configured Watchdog and got the logs - and ran again (using the watchdog) to launch with no plugins starting up. This yielded the same result. I am afraid that it might be something with the Gigabyte Brix not being able to run MP, but I hope it is something not hardware related.

If I need to supply any other information - please ask for it.

HrMartinussen

April 11, 2014
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I did a total cleanup and a reinstall - but the crash still occurs. After some further investigation the eventlog reveals 2 entries when MP crashes.

First one is:

Faulting application name: MediaPortal.exe, version: 1.6.0.0, time stamp: 0x52b77bd2
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000
Faulting process id: 0xe78
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf58f58181adbf
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: c1033cc7-c4e8-11e3-8256-94de808bfe37
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

And the second one (which probably is more interesting) is:

Application: MediaPortal.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
Stack:
at <Module>.D3DXCreateTextureFromFileInMemoryEx(Microsoft.DirectX.PrivateImplementationDetails.IDirect3DDevice9*, Void*, UInt32, UInt32, UInt32, UInt32, UInt32, Int32, Int32, UInt32, UInt32, UInt32, Microsoft.DirectX.PrivateImplementationDetails._D3DXIMAGE_INFO*, Microsoft.DirectX.PrivateImplementationDetails.tagPALETTEENTRY*, Microsoft.DirectX.PrivateImplementationDetails.IDirect3DTexture9**)
at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.TextureLoader.FromStream(Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device, System.IO.Stream, Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Usage, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Format, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Pool, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Filter, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Filter, Int32, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.ImageInformation ByRef, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.PaletteEntry[] ByRef)
at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.TextureLoader.FromStream(Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device, System.IO.Stream, Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Usage, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Format, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Pool, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Filter, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Filter, Int32, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.ImageInformation ByRef)
at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIFont.InitializeDeviceObjects()
at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIFontManager.InitializeDeviceObjects()
at MediaPortalApp.InitializeDeviceObjects()
at MediaPortal.D3D.InitializeDevice()
at MediaPortal.D3D.Init()
at MediaPortalApp.Main(System.String[])

First - it looks like it is running .NET 4.0 instead of 3.5 - is that correct?
Second - I have tried all compatibility settings as well as running MediaPortal.exe as administrator.

Does anybody have a clue what this could mean?

HrMartinussen

April 11, 2014
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Problem solved. Apparently the graphics driver supplied by Brix for the built-in Intel HD4000 is corrupt. After doing an update of the driver, the problem does not occur anymore (or at least right now).

HrMartinussen

April 11, 2014
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Do you like Mediaportal on Gigabyte BRIX GB-XM12-3227 ? How is it working? Fast enough?
Yes, it is running like it should be. Startup takes sometime - I didn't time it but I would guess it is between 10-20 seconds. However, I normally sleep it on power off, so it is not really an issue. No problems with any formats so far and the built-in wireless works fine for streaming from my NAS.

But most importantly - it is quiet as death. I see quite a few horror movies and getting rid of the notorius humming of my old silverstone cabinet in the silent scenes, made the Brix purchase one of my better hardware upgrades in the last few years :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom