[Finished] [MP2-551] Make settings menu structure clearer (1 Viewer)

astronaut

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The current behaviour of the settings menu makes it very hard for users to build the correct mental model. For example, when entering settings, selecting submenu "Erscheinungsbild" and pressing ok on the remote control, the screen changes to some submenu settings on the center and a subsubmenu "Oberfläche" on the left. When I select the subsubmenu "Oberfläche", the settings in the center change to the subsubmenu settings (see images below).
    Settings_1.jpg Settings_2.jpg Settings_3.jpg

Each subsubmenu is in the same hierarchy level as the submenu items and therefore should appear in the same list, perhaps differentiated by different icons or a different text size or colour (see example images below).
    By following this suggestion, one interaction step could be eliminated entirely (the first selection of the submenu is enough to show the submenu items and submenus), but this is not absolutely necessary if other reasons speak against it.
    Suggested_settings_a.jpg Suggested_settings_b.jpg

Disclaimer: I am a usability professional and a long time and enthusiastic MP user (for about 10 years or so). From a usability point of view, MP1 with the Titan skin is a very good solution for watching and listening to media. Because OnlineVideos has a flaw in MP1, I gave MP2 and the available skins a try, and my professional assessment is that user experience needs to be improved quite a bit before it is as usable as MP1/Titan. Please don't consider me as ungrateful, I appreciate the work that is being put into MP, however, I think the user experience with MP2 is not as good as it could be and I want to give my feedback on how to make MP2 better.

Edit: Typos and clarifications.

Attachments

• Settings_1.jpg
      Settings_1.jpg
      329.2 KB
    • Settings_2.jpg
      Settings_2.jpg
      320.1 KB
    • Settings_3.jpg
      Settings_3.jpg
      316.9 KB
    • Suggested_settings_1.jpg
      Suggested_settings_1.jpg
      319.2 KB
    • Suggested_settings_2.jpg
      Suggested_settings_2.jpg
      318.2 KB

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And 3rd time my agree. I've placed this point already on the todo list internally some time before. Due to lack of dev capacity it's not started yet, but it's planned after MP2.1 Final Release. Current settings structure is everything, but not intuitive or logical.

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When I select the subsubmenu "Oberfläche", the settings in the center change to the subsubmenu settings (see images below)
    Is this considered in the rework? The popup dialogs are a bit painful. The content should change directly while navigating through the menu items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom