Pandora Internet Radio Plugin Vote (1 Viewer)

Should Mediaportal feature a true Pandora plugin?

• Total voters

afidel

Portal Member
June 5, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
If anyone has sufficient programming skills there is already a C# based program that wraps up pandora into a tray applet. It shouldn't be too much work to turn it into a mediaportal addon but I don't have the skill (I realized after 2 years of CS that I had the skill to do scripting level programming and was much more natural as a sysadmin). The app source is at http://openpandora.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/OpenPandora/ :D

moiristo

Portal Pro
November 17, 2006
Enschede
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
It sucks that the whole thing is undocumented, but I think that with some effort it can be done. Most important I think is to understand how Player.cs works...I saw a lot of javascript code analyzes in there while browsing through it

afidel

Portal Member
June 5, 2007
Home Country
Another approach would be to use the XML generated by Pandora for blogs and consume it to make a list page that then loads the target in an iframe with some javascript to catch the esc key which depending on if an iframe is open will either close the iframe or close the plugin. You'd simply need to use this javascript
Code:
function lookupEmail(form) {
	var emailAddress = $("input[@name=email]", form).val();
	if (emailAddress != "enter email address" && emailAddress.length > 0) {
		if (cache[emailAddress] == null) {
			jQuery.getJSON(
				"/services/ajax/",
				{ method : "authenticate.emailToWebname", email : emailAddress },
				function(json) {
					if (json.stat == "ok") {
						cache[emailAddress] = json.result.webname;
						showFeed(form, json.result.webname);
					} else {
						showError(form, "ERROR: Could not find email address");
					}
				}
			);
		} else {
			showFeed(form, cache[emailAddress]);
		}
	} else {
		alert("Please enter your email address.");
	}
}

from http://www.pandora.com/feeds

to generate a URL in the form http://feeds.pandora.com/feeds/people/<username>/stations.xml?max=<1-100>
which is an rss which lists the users current n channels.

This would even be kosher because the iframe would include the ads so pandora doesn't lose any ad revenue.

afidel

Portal Member
June 5, 2007
Home Country
Another approach would be to use the XML generated by Pandora for blogs

This sounds good to me, would it be possible to use a remote control then to thumb up or down songs?

It should be, you'd need to send + and - for whatever keys were defined for the remote in the plugin section of the mapping area of MP, I'm not sure what would be good defaults for this to work with the widest array of input devices.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    This has been discussed several times. Biggest problem was that due to copyright-issues this was limited to US only. Is that not the case anymore?

And to the limitations of last.fm: If you guys do tagging it gets better by the minute :)

afidel

Portal Member
    June 5, 2007
    Home Country

tonyscha

Portal Pro
    May 2, 2007
    Iowa
    Home Country
    I just discovered Pandora... Is there any hint of progress on this plugin or is it dead...

peege3

Portal Member
    April 24, 2008
    Home Country
    It seems like there was some good thinking going here and then all of the sudden nothing. Given that enough people have expressed interest in this, and I would too for that matter, I wonder if anyone is still interested in taking this project on?
    So I guess you could call this a bump. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom