Playing media from the network (1 Viewer)

johnmb

Portal Member
April 2, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
Coming back to try Mediaportal, after having moved over to Linux for a long time. Looking for a media server that does it all, as my old PVR crapped itself, and figured a mediacentre should do the job better.
Please go easy on me if this is obvious, but after having searched, cannot find the secret to playing media from the local network?? Either off DLNA sources, or from Windows/SMB shares. Default settings for music/video etc seem to allow local, or FTP libraries? Do you need an extension/plugin to give this functionality?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Either off DLNA sources, or from Windows/SMB shares. Default settings for music/video etc seem to allow local, or FTP libraries?

You may use UNC path where you see local path.

johnmb

Portal Member
    April 2, 2006
    Brisbane, Australia
    Got the UNC path working...
    Tried MP2, but can't figure out how to get the TV working, so think I will stick with 1.8, at least for the time being.
    Thanks for the help.
    John.

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm a huge fan of Mediaportal and have been using it for years. I'm sure when the time is right I will move over to MP2.

I know everyone is very excited about MP2 but I wonder whether it is advisable to recommend MP2 to people on the forums yet who are new to MP or start their posts with 'Go easy on me...'

It also happened in this other post:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/central-installation-possible.127145/#post-1095625

I'd hate to give the impression that MP2 is ready to go when it's not in Beta yet and inadvertently give people a bad first experience of MP.

What do people think?

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Giving users the option of both from Media Portal Users, Dev's, and Testers to see what it currently in production and what is in development. It also makes the newer users much more comfortable knowing that there are multiple people working on both projects and that they care and are professional enough to expand on the availabilities.

A number of people currently are using one, the other, or both making MP extremely strong. There is nothing like having the ability to choose what is Best For You.... Besides, opinions from new users can also bring new light onto the software allowing for new idea's or issue fixing.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Maybe I'm not understanding your question, but I share movies and other media across my LAN simply by mounting the network share on the client via the configure application. Under Video Folder you can create a link to the network drive. To playback, use Videos and select the drive... voila`

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom