[Plugin] MediaBrowser for MediaPortal (v0.30-beta) [2014/08/20] (1 Viewer)

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    * the information in this post is a work in progress - expect edits to be made when time allows me to ;)

MediaBrowser for MediaPortal
    v0.30 beta (08/20/2014)

This plugin is a MediaBrowser Server 3 (MB3) client for MediaPortal.

Download
    Latest version. (MPEI)

Source | Changelog | Releases | Issues | Wiki (skinners)

Requirements

be aware - this is a pre-release and might not work as expected.
    To be able to use this plugin you need a functional install of MediaBrowser 3 Server running somewhere on your network. For more information regarding MediaBrowser 3 check out Luke's reply below.

Installation

Installation is as simple as running the MPEI installer. It should install the plugin, supporting libraries, translations and skin files in the appropriate folders.

Configuration

None, as of now - it should just work.
    Future changes will allow you to set some preferences from within MediaPortal.

Features
    • Automatic discovery of MediaBrowser Server on the network.
    • Login support for user profiles (with and without password)
    • Default profile, "remember me" and view settings.
    • Browse your movie, tvshows and music collection with artwork and metadata.
    • Views: All, Boxsets, Genre, Studio, Recently Added, Resumables, Nextup, Network, Songs, People, Artists
    • Watch movies, tvshows and listen to music.
    • Remote control, browse, resume and playback using other MB3 clients.
    • Contextual sorting, filtering and infinite scroll with background loading.
    • Channels
    • .. more features coming soon
    Known issues
    • The initial skin is based on the Titan version of the Moving Pictures skin (because i was familiar with that one) so it will probably look and work best using Titan for now. Though the installer will put the skin files in every available theme. The skins still lacks information in some places but should be functional.
    • Please delete the "old" MediaBrowser.xml settings file from your %programdata%\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal folder after upgrading to MediaPortal 1.7
    Help wanted

I'm currently looking for testers and skinners to help me polish the plugin. There is so much more data available than is presented atm. pro-tip: debug mode will log all the available skin properties. I'm working towards a plugin that allows the skinners to have "total" freedom when it comes to what controls to use (Smart Image Controls and Custom Facades).

Reporting issues

Please do only report issues regarding the MediaBrowser for MediaPortal plugin itself. MediaBrowser Server has a seperate tracker. When you report an issue please include the debug logs from MediaPortal and make sure you report it on the tracker here: https://github.com/apondman/MediaBrowser/issues

Screenshots

coverflow.png covers-big-list.png details.png details-with-player.png listview.png listview2.png list-with-player.png login.png movie-folders.png player.png root-folders.png slide.png thumbview.png

Media Browser Showcase

The following video showcases Media Browser and it's (future) clients. This plugin is not featured in the video but it will give you a good impression of what to expect.

Just a heads up that i'm working on a new plugin (client) for the BETA release of Media Browser 3 (MB3). MB3 server allows you to manage your media library centrally using a web interface and access it from all your favorite devices (for more info regarding MB3 visit http://www.mediabrowser3.com/). I've started exploring their API and work on a MediaPortal (1+2) client as a frontend so people currently using MediaCenter have an alternative. For me MediaPortal currently still is the most flexible frontend and what i've seen and tested regarding MB3 server this could be one powerful combo while MP II is still in the works :) I expect to finish an alpha release of the plugin in a couple of days so i'm looking for people willing to test the plugin.

Last edited:

Lukemb

Portal Pro
    June 9, 2013
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm one of the lead developers of Media Browser and thought I would come on and say a few words here as well as answer questions if anyone has any. We are a free and open source media server. I think Media Portal and Media Browser has potential to be a great partnership. You guys have an excellent, and very mature client, and we now have a great new back end.

Where we are currently unmatched is with data. We have lots of data about your media, and the server can do a lot of cool things with it. And all of this is exposed via our public API which will allow a Media Portal client to tap into all of it.

As an aside, we also have several client apps of our own in production:

- Media Browser Classic (wmc)
    - Media Browser Theater (new htpc client)
    - Android
    - Roku
    - Win Phone
    - Win RT
    - Web client (built into server)
    - iOS

The web client also serves as the server's dashboard, configuration and metadata management area, and works well on tablets and mobile devices. Aside from classic and the web client they are all very much a work in progress. Please check us out. Thanks!

Promo site: http://www.mediabrowser3.com/
    Github: https://github.com/MediaBrowser
    Community: http://community.mediabrowser.tv

Last edited:

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm currently wrapping up the first version of the skin for the initial version of this plugin. This beta version will include basic browse and playback functionality for movies (including remote control using other MB3 devices). So any day now actually ;)

bighick

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2009
    Home Country
    Can't wait to test it!
    But what advantages will this have over just using moving pics and tvseries? Just browser based back end?

Edit- and I am installing mb3 server now :)

Last edited:

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Can't wait to test it!
    But what advantages will this have over just using moving pics and tvseries? Just browser based back end?

It will be another alternative for managing and browsing your media collection based on a client/server architecture (much like what MP2 is aiming for)
    MediaBrowser Server does all the heavy lifting regarding the metadata from a central location providing you with lots of tools to manage your collection from your browser or any other capable client (including the final version of this plugin). People running more than one MP client and/or the need to manage a collection outside of the MP environment should definately try it out. Also it will not interfere with your other current media plugin of choice so you can give it a proper test run (depending on how you setup the MB3 server it could even enhance your current setup by providing metadata on the filesystem)

You can already play around with MediaBrowser Server and setup (part of) your collection this will ensure a proper experience when you test the plugin ;)

Last edited:

Lukemb

Portal Pro
    June 9, 2013
    Home Country
    Can't wait to test it!

It will allow you to centralize all of your user data in one place. That means your watch history, as well as everything you've liked, disliked, favorited, etc. We are then able to use that data to do some pretty cool things. Then we make it available through our api which is really empowering client developers such as Armand to do some new and creative things. Then of course the important, start watching in one room on media portal, resume in another with roku. We're also working hard on the two screen experience, so if you pair it with our android, ios or windows phone apps you'll see some added value there.

Lukemb

Portal Pro
    June 9, 2013
    Home Country
    I've updated my original post because our iOS developers have re-committed, and so we're on track to have an app on just about every major platform within the next eight weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom