question about NAS and security (1 Viewer)

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    Can anyone tell me about pros and cons of using a NAS box as opposed to a server in terms of security? If I ran a linux server on the network would that be more secure than NAS box, or do security flaws in windows machines attached to the network (accessing the device) make the proposition equivalent?

I dont know much about PC security and I want to store all my important stuff *off* my main PC-

Could anyone contribute ideas on the most secure option (without spending a bucketload of cash)?

ideas:
    1. nas box connected via lan to router, accessible by windows machines

2. server running linux (- is there a safe windows option?*), connected via lan to router, accessible by windows machines

3. --- looking for more info... any help appreciated if theres a better way to do this

*(is a windows server OS the most secure option compared to other flavours of windoze)?

Muldini

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi, in order to answer your questions you will need to tell us against what/who you want to protect your files. Other Machines in the same LAN etc.

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    Hi, in order to answer your questions you will need to tell us against what/who you want to protect your files. Other Machines in the same LAN etc.

Thanks Muldini

Ok:

1. Desktop PC running windoze connected via LAN to router
    2. Desktop PC running windoze connected to wireless on router
    3. Laptop PC running windoze connected to wireless on router
    (4). [Nas box? or server? connected via LAN to router]

(router is gateway to internet and hub for all machines)

Want protection from anyone wanting to access the machines from the internet and from viruses. I guess as the other machines are all general-purpose desktops this poses security risks (browsers, activex, java, possibility of malware installs, viruses, etc)

I just want the files on the NAS or the Server (whichever option is most secure) to be safe.

Does that help?

Muldini

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In theory, a server could be configured to be more selective about who is allowed to connect etc. That being said, it will be 10 times harder to set up than a usual "ready to go NAS box", depending on your knowledge. The router (your internet gateway) is doing most of the work for you already, most routers are configured to let traffic out but not in unless requested by previous outgoing traffic. So that part (Internet -> internal LAN) should be covered by your router.
    If one of your Desktop-PCs gets affected by a virus or something else, the router won't be able to help as those machine have direct access (as in LAN connection) to your NAS box / server already, they don't need to "go through" the router. Depending on how you set up access to your NAS box / server (like normal Login, certificates etc.) those viruses *could* spread onto the box/server as well. This is more a problem on the your PC side, though. They should be protected from the beginning by running a antivirus/malware software. It's users should be suspicious opening unknown files and the lot. Yet again, in such a case a server would help you, as you could even install a antivirus software there, but, it also would be a lot harder to configure than the NAS box.

From what I read in your message there is no "particular" threat, but more a general security awareness. That's totally fine, but it shouldnt be _the_ (but a) reason for the decision for or against a NAS box or a server. There are lots of other things that you need to think about as well: electricity bill, noise, extendibility, time you wanna spend to set it up etc.

I hope this helps you to figure out what to get :)

Kind regards,
    Muldini

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    time: doesnt matter. Im generally handy with PC's and dont mind setting it up

Power: plan on using mini itx, so its not a concern.

Im still not clear from your answer which is better.

Muldini

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, "better" depends on your requirements and wishes. Create a list of what you expect it to do (and solve!) and then see if a NAS box is enough or not, in wich case you would set up a server.

Kind regards,
    Muldini

finrudd341

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Personally, and looking at your requirements, I would go with a NAS Box.

If you want a server-client relationship on the network for other reasons, such as shared applications, print server, IP PBX etc, then maybe the Linux server is a good route. If all you want is secure storage, then a NAS is going to be quieter and easier to maintain.

Neither is going to protect you from virus attacks though - if your PC is infected and you save an infected file to the NAS then access it from the laptop, the virus can spread.

The only other thing I would consider is what your future needs might be - you can make a nice NAS & server quite easily with some of the sata backplane drive assemblies (have a look at this: Storage Rack Overview from Addonics)

If you enjoy tinkering, the server will be more fun, but will require more input from you.

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    Personally, and looking at your requirements, I would go with a NAS Box.

If you want a server-client relationship on the network for other reasons, such as shared applications, print server, IP PBX etc, then maybe the Linux server is a good route. If all you want is secure storage, then a NAS is going to be quieter and easier to maintain.

Neither is going to protect you from virus attacks though - if your PC is infected and you save an infected file to the NAS then access it from the laptop, the virus can spread.

The only other thing I would consider is what your future needs might be - you can make a nice NAS & server quite easily with some of the sata backplane drive assemblies (have a look at this: Storage Rack Overview from Addonics)

If you enjoy tinkering, the server will be more fun, but will require more input from you.

So are you saying that if I go with a server, Im better to run linux on it than windows?

finrudd341

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Good point - it had not even occured to me to run Windows on a server, but yes, you could also do that. Again, it all depends what else you wanted to do with the server.

For example, if you wanted to run a home CCTV service and a PBX, then I would personally chose Linux, but Windows is more user friendly if you don't already know Linux.

Linux is going to be less prone to virus attacks in that most viruses are written to exploit Windows applications and services.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom