recorded tv programme title is preceding programme title or manual (1 Viewer)

fredzebu

Portal Member
June 7, 2007
Home Country
I am in Australia. My problem is with recorded tv programs. Most times the program title and info are correct but quite often the program title and info in the recorded Tv list is for the program immediately preceding the recorded program in the electronic program guide. Sometimes the title is listed as manual even though it was a scheduled recording.

I have tried changing settings in Mediaportal Server Configuration. I have reduced the "start recording x minutes before program starts" to zero and this seems to increase the number of programs incorrectly titled manual.

I note that there is a setting for selecting when the thumbnail image is sampled "Time offset in minutes". A question for developers: could this offset time be used to get the program name and info from the EPG?

I am using MP 1.29 on windows 11 64bit.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    quite often the program title and info in the recorded Tv list is for the program immediately preceding the recorded program in the electronic program guide. Sometimes the title is listed as manual even though it was a scheduled recording.
    I have not encountered that problem myself, so I don't know what the explanation might be. Some questions:

(1) What EPG are you using? (Example: I use the broadcast EPG.)
    (2) How often is the EPG updated by your TV Server? (Example: mine updates once per day.)
    (3) How many days does your EPG cover? (Example: mine covers 7 complete days.)
    (4) Have you enabled the Always try to fill holes setting? (See this page.) (My setting: disabled)
    (5) Have you enabled the Always try to update existing entries setting? (My setting: enabled)

What I have noticed is that if I schedule a programme to record using the EPG, and a day or two later the EPG changes so that the programme times change (perhaps delayed by some number of minutes), or a different programme replaces the scheduled one, when I look at the "Recording Schedule" panel, the programme still appears in the list with its original name, but there is no date or time indicated. I use this as a signal that I need to reschedule the programme. In fact, I review the "Recording Schedule" panel every day in the morning, to catch and correct such occurrences (clearly you cannot do this if you are away for two weeks on holiday).

The above problem will occur for one-off recordings, and for repeated recordings that have the "at this time" condition. The recordings that are less likely to suffer from this problem are those that are "weekly on this day of the week", while "every time on this channel" and "every time on every channel" won't encounter this problem at all.

So what happens if I let the scheduled recording occur? I have never tried that, but it might record with a title of "Manual", or it might record with the title of whatever programme was actually broadcast at that time (which might be the preceding programme if the EPG was changed to broadcast the preceding programme slightly later).

I have reduced the "start recording x minutes before program starts" to zero and this seems to increase the number of programs incorrectly titled manual.
    The duration of pre-padding should not affect which programme title TV Server uses for the recording, so use whatever pre-padding and post-padding you prefer.

I note that there is a setting for selecting when the thumbnail image is sampled "Time offset in minutes". A question for developers: could this offset time be used to get the program name and info from the EPG?
    This should not be necessary (although it may depend on what is causing your problem).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    The above problem will occur for one-off recordings, and for repeated recordings that have the "at this time" condition.
    Sorry folks, I got that wrong. :cry:

For repeated recordings with the "at this time" condition:
    • Daily at this time,
    • Weekly at this time,
    • Weekdays at this time,
    • Weekends at this time,
    the "Recording Schedule" panel will show the programme title of whatever is present in the EPG for that time, and will record it with the title from the EPG. It is only for "Once at this time" that can result in the "Recording Schedule" panel showing the programme title with no date or time.

fredzebu

Portal Member
    June 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Thank you for the quick and detailed response. I use the broadcast TV epg:

There is an occurence of a scheduled recording titled "manual" right now:

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Have I attached them now?
    Not so far. :(

When you click the "Attach files" button, a pop-up should appear that allows you to navigate to the folder on your system that contains the images, select an image, and then click the "Open" button on the pop-up. That will then upload the image file. Repeat that for each image.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I thought I did that. Here they are again. Is there a file size limit?
    The images have now appeared in the original post 4, as well as the post above (post 8). There may be a size limit (but if so, I don't know what it is). Anyway, I will have a look at the images and see if they give a clue as to what is happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom