recording from Roku (1 Viewer)

sieve

Portal Member
February 20, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have a Roku stick run through a Hauppauge Colossus card. I have the Roku set up as a channel. I can tune into it and watch and record it (manually, live). This morning, I tried to set up a scheduled recording on the Roku channel for a specific start time and duration. The wizard took me through all the normal selections and options. But when it ended up on the scheduled recordings page, the recording I just set up was not listed. Like it was never really set up. I would have assumed that after walking through the advance recording wizard, my scheduled recording would appear on the scheduled recordings list as Roku, 6PM-8PM, no information available.

Is the advance record feature integrated with the guide? The Roku channel is listed in the guide, but with "no information available". Obviously. Does the advance recording feature query the guide and require an actual listed program in the desired slot, else it ignores the request? Or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

But when it ended up on the scheduled recordings page, the recording I just set up was not listed.
    Do you mean the guide, or...?

Is the advance record feature integrated with the guide? The Roku channel is listed in the guide, but with "no information available". Obviously. Does the advance recording feature query the guide and require an actual listed program in the desired slot, else it ignores the request? Or is there something else I need to do?
    No, the advanced recording feature doesn't (shouldn't) require an actual listed program. However, program/guide data may be required in order to display the schedule in the guide.

sieve

Portal Member
    February 20, 2015
    Home Country
    But when it ended up on the scheduled recordings page, the recording I just set up was not listed.
    Do you mean the guide, or...?

In the list of scheduled recordings. If I go through the process of setting up an advance recording for an actual OTA show listed in the guide, all of those scheduled recordings appear on the scheduled recordings page. If I do the same process for the Roku, that scheduled recording is not listed on the scheduled recordings page.

No, the advanced recording feature doesn't (shouldn't) require an actual listed program. However, program/guide data may be required in order to display the schedule in the guide.

The guide wouldn't have any way of knowing what would play on the Roku channel, and it correctly lists "no information available". I'm not concerned about that. I do want to be able to program MP to tune into the Roku channel at a specific time and record whatever is being played on that channel. Unless I am looking in the wrong place, I can't verify that it is going to actually perform that recording.

sieve

Portal Member
    February 20, 2015
    Home Country
    There seems to be some bugs in this recording feature. I kept trying to set up an advanced record on the "roku" channel. After experimenting, it seems that the recording will end up being scheduled on approximately half the attempts. In the scheduled recording list, it is listed as (manual Roku). I can't figure out why sometimes it will end up on the scheduled recording list and sometimes it won't. I choose the same variables each time.

Then, even though it may appear in the scheduled recordings list, it only actually starts recording at the designated time approximately half of the time. I found out by accident that one time it actually started recording 23 minutes after the designated start time.

For OTA channels and programs listed in the guide, I have no problems setting up advanced recording and it starts and stops on time. This only happens when recording the signal from Roku, which comes in through a Hauppauge Colossus. It is listed as a "channel" in the guide, but with no information available (because the guide would have no idea what is coming through the Roku).

Any thoughts or advice? Settings to change? It is a bit annoying to have to babysit the recorder to make sure it has started on time.

Thanks!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

Any thoughts or advice? Settings to change?
    No.

My gut feeling is that this is not a problem that will be solved with settings changes. Somebody will need to check what you're saying, either by attempting to reproduce the problem(s) with their own setup or by analysing details of an example that you provide. Like most other people here, I don't have a capture card (eg. Colossus, HD-PVR) and therefore I can't attempt to reproduce. That leaves the second option.

For me to investigate, I would need:
    1. A screen capture video showing the failure to create a schedule.
    2. For the failures to start recording on time: a screenshot showing the schedule when created (including date and time), and full TV service log files so I can check what TV Server was doing when it should have been recording.
    Without these, I'm sorry to say I can't help you.

P.S. The details requested above are standard requirements for getting help with most problems. In this "support" section of the forum we generally expect people to provide log files and any other relevant information in the first post.

sieve

Portal Member
    February 20, 2015
    Home Country
    For me to investigate, I would need:
    1. A screen capture video showing the failure to create a schedule.
    2. For the failures to start recording on time: a screenshot showing the schedule when created (including date and time), and full TV service log files so I can check what TV Server was doing when it should have been recording.

I can do these. Which specific log file(s)?

Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Which specific log file(s)?
    When I say "full TV service log files", I mean all TV Server's log files.
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left corner.
    3. Zip all the files in that folder.
    4. Post/attach the zip file.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello :)

There's no screenshots in the zip file, and the log files are from 20 February. I'm wondering if you attached the wrong zip file?

Regards,
    mm

sieve

Portal Member
    February 20, 2015
    Home Country
    oops...
    trying again.

Hello:
    Attached is a file with 2 screenshots and the log files.
    The picture titled "scheduled" shows that I set up an advance recording on channel "Roku" to start at 6:45 PM.
    The picture titled "active" shows that at 6:48, the "Roku" recording had not started. The only thing recording was an OTA program scheduled from the guide.
    Thanks in advance for your assistance in troubleshooting this.

Attachments

• attachments(2).zip
      466.1 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks, that's better. :)

There are no errors in the TV service log file. It just looks like TV Server doesn't know that there's a schedule to record. Very odd! :confused:

Can you please patch the TV service with the attached exe, which will put more information in the log files.
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Go to the manual control section.
    3. Click stop service.
    4. Close TV Server configuration.
    5. Open Windows Explorer.
    6. Navigate to the TV Server install folder (default: c:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server).
    7. Backup TvService.exe.
    8. Download and extract the attached TvService.exe replacement into the TV Server install folder.
    9. Open TV Server configuration (click yes to start the TV service).
    Next time you notice the problem, please post the same information as you did this time (full TV service log files, screenshots, date and time of failed recording). The additional debug information in the log files should help to figure out what is going on.

Regards,
    mm

Attachments

• TvService_[1.10_scheduler_debug].zip
      86.9 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom