Recording (1 Viewer)

CrEsPo

Portal Member
January 19, 2006
Canada
How do I record in AVI format? When I record it takes up 7 GB for an hour in dvr-ms. It's really huge and unnecessary.

I tried to go into MP Setup - TV - Capture Cards - Edit

The thing is though, all these things that deal with the video and audio are greyed oud and I can't choose any options. I'm using the latest stable version of MP, 0.1.3.0.

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
not sure exactly , but i believe those options are greyed out cause i think those options relete to Software recording from memory. Its recording the streamed video so then you would have to use a program like virtual dub or some other type of software and then convert it to AVI that would be one way. Not sure there is a facility to have it encode it straight to AVI but i'm probably wrong

CrEsPo

Portal Member
January 19, 2006
Canada
Thanks for the reply. I never thought of converting, though I'm still in a little bit of trouble.

I have VirtualDub, VirtualDubMod and TMPGEnc. None of these support the format that Media Portal is recording in.

VirtualDub(Mod) came up an error saying something along the lines that Microsoft doesn't allow editing of .asf files (even though it's a .dvr-ms file) so they don't allow .asf files to load into VirtualDub(Mod).

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    What type of TV tuner card do you have?
    A usage of 7 GB per hour is excessive for any standard definition or analog recording. My Winfast PVR2000 does about 3.3GB per hour and my Hauppauge cards do approx 2 GB per hour.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    The Burner plugin allows conversion of the recorded files to mpeg2 or avi.

The excessive size may be from either HDTV digital channels or the birate being set to excessively high on an analogue card.

Downzy

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Home Country
    I'm sure there a plenty of people out there that can expand on this, but I'm pretty sure the simple answer is that you cannot record directly into AVI format.

However, if you are using RC2, i have a feeling the "My Burner" plugin allows you to convert the files automatically after recording.

A lot of other people are also using tools such as DVRMS Toolbox and Crunchie to cut out commercials and convert to less space consuming formats. Perhaps you could take a look at those.

Have a look at this thread. There are some more links at the bottom too.
    http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12119

Cheers,
    Downzy

CrEsPo

Portal Member
    January 19, 2006
    Canada
    Thanks for all the quick replies, appreciated.

I have an ATI AIW x800XL, and I'm using analogue cable with no HDTV.

Those programs seem pretty good, I just went on VideoHelp.com and found this guide. It's kind of late so I'm going to try this tomorrow and see how much space I can save with it.

Thanks for the mention of the "My Burner" plugin, I'll take a look at RC2 after trying out the manual conversion tomorrow. Last time I tried RC2 I couldn't get the TV to work, but maybe it'll work this time.

edit: I just followed the guide using DVRMSToolbox and VirtualDub and I went from a 3 GB, 45 minute DVR-MS to a 300 MB, 45 minute AVI. I'm really happy with that now. Albeit I'll still need the high amount of disk space for initial recording, a couple clicks and it's compressed a lot :).

Going to try that "My Burner" plugin later, see how that is and weight out my options.

Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom