[TV] rename channels on scanning (1 Viewer)

How to imlement channel name change

• Manually (inly for channels with single TuningDetails)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i am strongly against this function (please describe the reason)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Vasilich

Portal Pro
August 30, 2009
Germany, Mayence
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
Input data: Any TV tuner card (i have DVB-S), some channels mapped to that tuner. One channel in transponder changes its name. We start scan in TVConfig.
Current situation: tvserver scans that transponder, sees that one channel has changed its name, and changes TuningDetails name in our DB. MP channel name will not be changed (for various reasons, listed below).
Desired situation: the channel in MP changes its name according to changed name in TuningDetails for this channel.

Reasons for current behavior as i understand them:
1. A channel can be renamed, and i don't want to loose my custom name after changing transponder channel name.
2. One MP channel can have several TuningDetails, so channel name can be ambiguous (unclear, name from what TuningDetails should be used for MP channel name).
3. Any other reason i'm currently not aware of.

So i suggest to :
either do some automatic renaming for the cases when only one changed TuningDetail is configured for MP channel (or the old name of TuningDetails was the same as MP channel name, and this TuningDetails was the first one in the TuningDetails list for that channel),
or possbility to do that at later time (via button press).

Both solutions will overwrite my custom names, so to avoid this we have to mark the channels that were renamed by user. Another boolean DB Field "IsCustomName"? Does it worth it? how many users rename their channels?

First solution should be default active with checkbox that deactivates this function for those who doesn't need that feature (for whatever reason, don't know any atm).

@mm1352000 Correct me if i'm wrong.

So before i implement it, I want to clear all pros/contras and choose the solution most comfortable for the majority of users.

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1+
    An option where you allow MePo to overwrite any existing names with the real SAT name would be welcome.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I've already implemented automatic channel name updating for TVE 3.5.
    Conditions:
    1. Scan finds tuning detail update.
    2. Old tuning detail name is not equal to the new tuning detail name.
    3. Old tuning detail name equals the linked channel name.
    4. (The number of tuning details linked to the channel is not considered.)
    In this scenario, the channel name (and tuning detail name) will be updated to match the new tuning detail name.
    Same logic applies to channel numbers.
    Note: it is now also possible to edit the tuning detail name and number.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    then it means that if i'll implement same logic, then i won't need to create branch for TVE35?
    Pass.
    I don't see the point of implementing anything for TVE 3 any more. Personally (and with the greatest respect) I think you'd be wasting your time whether you create a branch or not. I guess the choice is yours.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    i went the easy way and made SQL scripts:
    1. to run once - to fix already scanned systems.
    2. as "after update" trigger for tuningdetails table - to do it automatically from DB server-side. willl work for all future scans. requires "create trigger" rights for DB.

with that approach it will work for all MP1 versions without code change.
    Anyone still interested?

xvffx

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    i went the easy way and made SQL scripts:
    1. to run once - to fix already scanned systems.
    2. as "after update" trigger for tuningdetails table - to do it automatically from DB server-side. willl work for all future scans. requires "create trigger" rights for DB.

with that approach it will work for all MP1 versions without code change.
    Anyone still interested?
    I am.... To clarify this is not sat specific ? Once it is set would the epg be more supported ? Meaning less channel mapping require?

Vff

alexdepalma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I suggest to offer the option to rename channels according to the tuned name.
    This option could be available in the channels list for all channels or selected ones, not at the end or during tuning.

At the end of tuning, my suggestion is to promt a message for channels name changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom