Server/Client Setup, Migrate to TV-Server? (1 Viewer)

webdes03

Portal Member
June 28, 2006
For a couple years now I've been using MediaPortal for my personal media PC, and last Christmas I built my parents a MediaPortal system, and about six months ago I migrated all of the recorded media to a Windows Home Server box in our basement.

Currently I'm just using shares on the Home Server box to share the media between the two MediaPortal systems, the server doesn't do any actual recording or post processing, it's purely a file server. I understand that Windows Home Server isn't a supported OS of MediaPortal, but I've been reading of a lot of success with running TV-Server on it.

My question is more a case of weather I should make the move. I'm not very familiar with what TV-Server offers, and I'm wondering if I'd actually gain anything. I will say that there's a very large music library and a very large library of TV shows and films, so much so that it takes MediaPortal time to read the windows share and build the list when you look at say the list of films. Would moving to TV-Server do away with this? Are there any pros or cons to TV-Server if I'm not doing any recording?

I've sort of got the mentality that what we've got works, so why mess with it, but at the same time, I'm a tech person and it's something to play with... any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom