TBS Cards oddity (for info) (1 Viewer)

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I had a single seat system, and two TBS cards (dual DVB-T and dual DBV-S2) and it had a habit of crashing every few days.

I did think it might be a faulty card so I obught another Satellite card, later model.

Nope, still crashed.

BSOD seemed to indicate that the card was at fault - even although it often wasn't being actively used (could have been loading the EPG I suppose, but I wasn't using it nor was it recording anything).

Last month [finally] got around to making the PC into a server only system (bought a Lenovo Flex for the client), so no MP client on there.

Since then it has managed to crash once (which I think was unrelated - there are a few other tings on the server).

In fact it is stupidly reliable now!

I'm not looking for an answer, just letting others know that this occured.

Caesium

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2011
    Solihull
    Home Country
    I suffer from occasional bluescreens with my TBS 6285 (quad DVB-T) as well.

Single seat setup, MP 1.10, Windows 7 x64.

Generally crashes while watching TV in the evenings, perhaps once a month. The BSOD and Event Viewer trace always show the TBS driver at fault. I've just learnt to live with it, it's most annoying when it interrupts 2 or 3 ongoing recordings though :(

I used to use a Blackgold card and that wasn't immune to the BSOD either, I'm debating trying another manufacturer but not sure which..

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I have two TBS 6284 cards (the predecessor of the 6285) running on 32-bit Vista with MP 1.9.0 pre in a single-seat setup. Luckily I seem to have achieved a system that does not abend (fingers crossed :cautious:). But I did have a problem when I was running Windows Media Center (same tuners, same OS).

It is my custom to exit from the media center (WMC or MP) to the desktop before hibernating the system. I went through a phase where about 5% of the time, Vista would abend on exit from WMC. Now hard experience has caused me to keep a hand-written log of changes that I make to the HTPC, and problems that occur. By looking back through this log I was able to spot that the abends started occurring after I had installed the "Control Center" software for a Belkin Network USB Hub (also known as a "poor man's NAS"). I have used this software on WinXP for circa ten years now, without any trouble, but evidently it does not work correctly on Vista (and Belkin never updated it for Vista). So I uninstalled the Belkin software, and the abends ceased. :)

I find it really strange that the "Control Center" software for a network USB hub should cause WMC to abend on exit; there is no obvious connection between them (WMC wasn't using the network USB hub). I guess that sometimes interactions between software/hardware can be really obscure. :confused:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom