The future of MPI - we need your opinion! (1 Viewer)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Latest SVN still doesn't copy System Fonts to Vista-directory, sorry but this is a showstopper for me...

moiristo

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2006
    Enschede
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Now that MP 1.0.1 is released, I was wondering if there has been an update of the MPI installer as well? Could you give an update?

pirivan

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2008
    I know I am WAY late to commenting on this thread but I just had to throw in my hat and say that getting developers of plugins onboard with a unified installer/patch/update system for skin files and plugins is an absolute necessity. I love MediaPortal but without TV Series and Moving Pictures and Black and White 1080p, it literally isn't even the same program to me. I love the plugins/variety of skins BUT it's an absolute pain managing updates/patches to both the mediaportal application itself and the skins/plugins. If there were easy to use installers with built in options for modifications to these skins/plugins (ie do you want the skin to look like THIS or like THIS do you want it to support TV Series, etc etc) I would be absolutely ecstatic.

It would be wonderful to have a built in notification/patch/update system built into MP and for the variety of plugins/skins so that updates would be automatically downloaded (and could be easily rolled back). Without the wonderful work of the plugin/skin developers MP just wouldn't be the useful application it is today. If all the developers were on the same wavelength/system, rather than developing what almost feels like completely separate applications MediaPortal would be MUCH easier for new users to setup and easier for us long-time users to maintain.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I totally agree that the use of mpi's could make things a lot easier.
    For the moment - though it has improved lately - it's not straightforward how/where to find/install plugins and my opinion is that having multiple places where to find them and how to install, confuses a lot of us.

Having read some of the postings of this thread and the 'cry out' for using this new way of creating/installing plugins, I guess there are mainly 2 reasons for not doing so:
    1) for the developers: maybe lack of knowledge or time to adapt into it and of course the habit of the known way
    2) for the users: not knowing about the existence and the multitude of sources of plugins/extensions/modifications/...

Please, don't take any of this as criticism; I hope it's a contribution.

PS: I insalled mpi for the first time today - OneButtonMusic - even though in the enclosed readme the only info is about installing manually, and was confused that the plugin didn't appear only after re-opening the MP configuration applet.
    Is this behavior by design and if so, would it not be useful to indicate this in the MPinstaller window?

jacks

Portal Member
    November 12, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    rss news with web page

Hello, i use MediaPortal since few months and i like this software.
    Before that i was using Media Center, and a similar plugin as RSS NEWS was MCE RSS Reader.
    This MCE plugin is able to show web page of a RSS topic when the user click on the topic.
    It's better than RSS news witch try to read page in text mode and for example for "Le Monde" RSS , it's unusable.

If you could make the same thing than MCE RSS Reader, it would be great !

jenklins

Portal Member
    April 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi!

I would like to have a silent option for installs...
    that way it would be easy to do auto installations of systems...

Great work...
    Tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom