[solved] Trust RC not working with HID? Worked fine with MCE remote (1 Viewer)

coen99

Portal Member
November 20, 2011
Hello Guys,

I used Mediaportal up till version 1.12 when MCE remote was discontinued.
I switched to KODI, which is working fine but my heart lies with Mediaportal.
However I cannot get my Trust remote working with HID.

What's not working :
- startup with green-button (of course services windows are not running and the MP startup tray is activated)
- all video controls (fast forward-back, stop, play etc.)
- the return button

Basically just the OK button, the jump-buttons, up-down are working correctly.

What can I try? Any ideas?
Or can I somehow reinstall MCE remote?
Otherwise I have to go back to 1.12 or 1.11

Thanks for the feedback.

coen99

Portal Member
November 20, 2011
Tried to get it working. Read a lot on this forum. Unfortunately General HID is not working as intuitive as MCE remote.
Signing a specific key to a command is not working as it does in MCE remote. So I can not get it working as I would like.

So I'm back to version 1.11.:(
Maybe I will upgrade in the future when it's more user-friendly.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    When I press 2 one time it gives me the a, 2 times, the b and 3-times a c etc. And 3 gives me the d,e or f etc.
    Where is this happening? If you are trying to use the on-screen keyboard (the "Virtual Standard Keyboard"), are you aware that you can use either mobile-phone mode for typing letters, or normal-keyboard mode? From your description it seems that you are using the on-screen keyboard in mobile-phone mode. Solution: switch it to normal-keyboard mode! Move the focus to the box labelled "SMS" and press the OK button on the remote.

So I'm back to version 1.11.
    MP version 1.12 has both the new "General HID" support, and the old "Microsoft MCE" support; enable one or the other, but not both. So 1.12 should work for you using the old MCE support.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

coen99

Portal Member
    November 20, 2011
    Thanks guys for your replies!

I saw 1.12 does have MCE support but it says it is 'deprecated' which made me choose 1.11.

Concerning the numbers that turn into letters:
    - Just to be sure: I did a fresh Windows 10 install.
    - Installed MP 1.14
    - the Trust remote did not really work. Not working were:
    • startup with green-button (of course services windows are not running and the MP startup tray is activated)
    • all video controls (fast forward-back, stop, play etc.)
    • the return button
    - Then I used the registry patch that I found : https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/t...-in-1-13pre-worked-fine-in-1-12.133071/page-9
    - Now the remote worked as it should except for the numbers turning into letters. So I'm using the keyboard on my remote.

@CyberSimian: as you stated it's indeed a mobile-phone mode. Maybe this is a doing of the registry patches. However without these it's not working at all.
    Your Solution: switch it to normal-keyboard mode! Move the focus to the box labelled "SMS" and press the OK button on the remote.
    Sorry, I feel like a real noob as I don't really understand what you mean.

But still that's not my most important issue as I really do not need these buttons. It's just wierd.
    The main issue is that the nice feature from the MCE remote option, to easily adjust button actions, did not work.
    For me basically crucial as I like to have eg. a button to easily delete files without going the menu's.
    And I like to change more buttons for my own convenience.

For the moment I'm happy using 1.11 or I will upgrade to 1.12 when I know what deprecated means ;)

But two issues I don't understand :
    1. Why do I need these registry patches to basically get the remote working? Do you always need these to get your MCE/RC6 remote working?
    2. Why can I not change the button actions as I use to do in MCE remote?

Cheers!

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For the moment I'm happy using 1.11 or I will upgrade to 1.12 when I know what deprecated means ;)
    Staying on an older version of MP that works for you is a totally valid option. MP 1.12 MCE handler should work just the same as MP 1.11. The "deprecated" warning was there to encourage users to make the effort to move to the HID handler. Just make sure you don't enable both.

Why do I need these registry patches to basically get the remote working? Do you always need these to get your MCE/RC6 remote working?
    You do not need those patches on a fresh Windows install unless a third party application such as Kodi has tempered with your registry.

Why can I not change the button actions as I use to do in MCE remote?
    That should work just the same as before when using the configuration UI. If it does not it's bug that needs fixing. Which button and which action did you try? Screenshots, logs, context...

When I press 2 one time it gives me the a, 2 times, the b and 3-times a c etc. And 3 gives me the d,e or f etc.
    In which context? On which screen are you pushing your digit buttons? Behavior is often context dependent.

If you are happy to try out MP 1.14 again we will be happy to assist you further with your issues but please try to be more specific by providing screenshots, logs and context.
    Is this the remote you are using?

To check that your remote is working has it should with HID you should try the HID Demo. Launch the app push some buttons and gives us screenshots and logs of the results.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    • startup with green-button (of course services windows are not running and the MP startup tray is activated)
    • all video controls (fast forward-back, stop, play etc.)
    • the return button

How hard did you try to fix this? Did you try to reboot? Those symptoms are known to be caused by Kodi registry hack or sometimes happening when doing too many IR receiver plug in/out or when resuming from sleep/hibernate. Except in case of registry hack they are known to affect the now removed MCE handler too.

coen99

Portal Member
    November 20, 2011
    Hello Guys,

first of all thanks for all your concern and help! Really appreciate it.

@Stéphane Lenclud: yes that's my remote! I really tried making my remote to work. I also tried a Philips Prestigo (which is a copy of my Trust, just in case), same issue. And yes I did reboot several times.

But to be sure and because I'm curious of course I'm going to give it another try tomorrow.
    Especially with this forum as backup :)

First of all I will give the HID demo a go!
    When I successfully pass the first step I will do a clean install of Windows 10.
    Finally I will install 1.14 :cautious: fingers crossed

Keep you informed
    Cheers

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    yes that's my remote!
    It does look like a genuine MCE RC6 remote as such it should work great with HID and the latest MP release.

I also tried a Philips Prestigo
    You can use a universal remote as only the receiver should matter.
    However to rule out potential issues I would stick to your original remote until we get it working.

First of all I will give the HID demo a go!
    Yes you should start there.

When I successfully pass the first step I will do a clean install of Windows 10.
    You could re-install Windows if you want but unless your registry got really messed up it should not be needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom