Tuner assignment (1 Viewer)

PoBear

Portal Pro
April 17, 2006
Northants, United Kingdom
Hi guys

Thanks for all of the replies.

It's a performance issue that has generated the request.

My maths is much the same as already posted but I've noticed that when I record 3 or more programmes on the same tuner that I start to see problems with the recordings.

It may be that these are compounded by the things that I do with the recordings, I use MCEBuddy to convert them to DIVX using a very fast profile which is not very tolerant of problems in the video stream, a slower profile can usually overcome the issues but it's not practical on a day to basis as it's the difference between a 10min conversion and 2 or 3 hours.

My recording machine is a Compaq 6000 Pro. Intel Core Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz with 4GB memory. The disk are 2 x 2Tb eSata and a third running off of USB2 (this is a relatively new addition). The machine runs Windows 7 with MP and also MediaBrowser3 Server, but nothing else.

It doesn't sound as if it is particularly easy to limit the number of recordings.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It may be that these are compounded by the things that I do with the recordings
    I think you hit the nail on the head there. If you're running MCEBuddy in parallel with recordings then you're going to be hammering the HDD with I/O requests. Better to schedule such jobs for a time when you know the PC will be idle.

...and a third running off of USB2 (this is a relatively new addition).
    If I were you I wouldn't be using that drive for recordings. USB 2 has a maximum theoretical bandwidth of 480 Mb/s (60 MB/s). In practise you probably won't be able to hit that speed due to overheads, other connected devices, motherboard bandwidth sharing arangments etc. It is possible that it isn't fast enough for what you're trying to do with it.

PoBear

Portal Pro
    April 17, 2006
    Northants, United Kingdom
    Thanks for your reply

I do the conversions on a different machine and copy the source from the recording drives to ensure that there is no impact.

The computer only supports 4 drives, I've considered replacing the DVD to give me a 3rd recoding drive but at the moment it doesn't make sense. The USB drive is connected to the lowest priority tuner so does not get used too much, maybe once or twice a night.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Have you checked the task manager performance tab when recording more than 2 recordings to see whether/which process(es) are maxing out HDD bandwidth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom