TV recording doesn't start if DVD is playing (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Cal

Great to hear from you again. :)

I'll get straight to the point.
    I definitely see what you mean... but unfortunately at this point I can't see why the schedule should not have been recorded. This is rather strange.

There are really only two things we might suspect:
    1. That the schedule was not saved correctly. This seems unlikely given what you said about seeing the schedule in the screens.
    2. That the scheduler thread died or locked up for some reason, similar to what is happening -->here<-- (though note that problem seems only to have been observed with Windows 8 and 8.1).
    Could you please use the TV Server import/export section to export your schedules, then post the export file here. That should allow us to check out point 1.
    Point 2 is much tougher. What would have been really interesting is if you had tried to schedule another show for 9pm once you discovered the first schedule didn't record. The result of that second schedule would have told us a lot about the state of the scheduler thread.

Thanks,
    mm

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Right back at you, mm - much appreciate your interest, comments, and suggestions.
    The export is attached, but I'm doubtful it's of any use.There have now been 2 reboots (automatic every morning), and some schedule changes since the problem non-recording.
    Being on opposite sides of the earth complicates the matter.

If and when this happens again, I can certainly export the schedules on the spot, try to schedule something else, and export again.

Taking a larger viewpoint, it doesn't seem anyone else has seen this exact problem. Maybe it's limited to older MP versions, such as 1.2.3 that I'm using, or even to my specific installation. In which case, the 'solution' wouldn't be of any general use - would it? Removing the doubt about my sanity might be all that can be done.

Attachments

• export2.xml
      8.3 KB

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    on my win8.1, MePo 1.9 (prerelease? not 100% sure which 1.9). Enabled MePo1 TV server (disabled MePo2 server on same test system). Scheduled a recording at 11:30am, started matrix DVD at 11:15, at 11:30 TV Server started recording, have SetupTV running on laptop screen to watch tuners. At 11:40 or so, stopped DVD, went to Recordings started/watched recording. No problems on my system the 1 of 1 times I tried this. Do not have comskip setup on this system (yet)

updated comment:
    Stopped watching Recorded TV, back to DVD, watch Matrix, no obvious problems at 12:00pm when recording stopped.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The export is attached, but I'm doubtful it's of any use.There have now been 2 reboots (automatic every morning), and some schedule changes since the problem non-recording.
    Mmmm, well the export certainly doesn't contain the schedule. Like you say though, as an expired schedule it could easily have been deleted by now.

If and when this happens again, I can certainly export the schedules on the spot, try to schedule something else, and export again.
    That'd be great. :)
    Since this doesn't seem to occur very often, here are some key points to make sure we get testing right for next time:
    • The second schedule needs to be a real schedule. In other words, the test won't work if you just select record from TV home.
    • Make sure not to stop and restart the TV service (or restart the PC) until after you've tried the second schedule.
    • If the problem is similar to the one I linked in my last post, I'd expect the second schedule to fail as well. In fact I'd expect all schedules to fail to start or stop recording until the TV service is restarted. Further, I'd expect it may not be possible to stop the TV service (because the scheduler thread deadlock prevents it). In other words, you may need to restart the PC in order for recordings to start working correctly again.
    • It wouldn't hurt to test a third schedule as follows: notice first schedule doesn't record, try second schedule, try restart TV service (and/or reboot PC), try third schedule to confirm recording is working.

Taking a larger viewpoint, it doesn't seem anyone else has seen this exact problem. Maybe it's limited to older MP versions, such as 1.2.3 that I'm using, or even to my specific installation. In which case, the 'solution' wouldn't be of any general use - would it? Removing the doubt about my sanity might be all that can be done.
    Yes, it is possible the issue is specific to that old version of MP (...in which case, unfortunately I may not even be able to find the problem let alone provide a solution). However, I'd still like to try to find and understand the problem if I can. Especially considering the existence of the issue that I linked in my previous post. It is possible that you're experiencing the same or similar issue as the people running W8/8.1, and that would be something really crucial for me to know.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    OK, mm, I'll follow your suggestions when/if I get that chance. When I get a new DVD (from Netflix, tomorrow), I usually make an effort to see if the problem will happen -- I'll try harder.

(I may not ... provide a solution)
    I do, however, have a 'solution'. I still have an old RCA low definition DVR, with DVD player, hooked up. So when I really don't want to miss a recording, I use the RCA to play to DVD.

By the way, mm, how much time do you wast --er, use in helping people on this forum? Whatever it is, it is very much appreciated. Many thanks.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    mm, wouldn't you say that the content of a DVD can not possibly affect this issue? So any DVD should do to produce the problem - eventually. (occasionally, I do get a DVD that wouldn't play correctly without changing the MPEG-2 video codec from LAV to MPC)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    mm, wouldn't you say that the content of a DVD can not possibly affect this issue?
    Yes, I would.
    In fact to me it seems unlikely that there is any connection to playing DVDs.
    I don't know if you've seen the posts from today in that other thread I linked? Looks like AVG is causing TV Server to not stop or not start recordings. You don't use AVG do you?

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    AVG antivirus? No. Otherwise, I don't know what AVG is - so no, it's not something I deliberately use.
    Speculating further -- how about use of a remote control at just the right (ie, wrong) time? Pause, skip, etc using some non-standard remote mappings.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    AVG antivirus? No. Otherwise, I don't know what AVG is - so no, it's not something I deliberately use.
    Okay, cross that off the list.

Speculating further -- how about use of a remote control at just the right (ie, wrong) time? Pause, skip, etc using some non-standard remote mappings.
    I doubt it unless it is a system/driver level issue. TV service has no capability to interact with remotes, so it is very unlikely a remote would affect recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom