[fixed] Video in Titles View does not get status set to watched when movie has ended. (1 Viewer)

GhoSe

Portal Pro
December 17, 2007
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
OK, I saw this also. To be honest I don't know how this could be related otherwise to my recent changes, but I'll have a dedicated look at that.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    OK, I saw this also. To be honest I don't know how this could be related otherwise to my recent changes, but I'll have a dedicated look at that.

I can also confirm.

If you enter 'My Videos' in shares view, then switch to titles view and watch a movie to the end, then the 'watched' status is correctly updated. If you enter 'My Videos' directly in title view and watch a movie to the end, it is not.

Mark

GhoSe

Portal Pro
    December 17, 2007
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK I investigated quite a lot time to figure out whats going on there. First of all I have to say that this never could have work correctly. It worked only if you enter the shared view ones (as others already mentioned). The reason for that was that the event handlers for the GUIVideoFiles view were handling the stopped/ended events from the player in this case. The GUIVideoTitles view didn't have any event handlers for the player events. So you could say it seems more like luck that it worked in some situations :p The reason why the behavior recently changed is related to gibmans latest changes. He implemented a subscription of the player events when the view is left. First of all I reverted this changes, because I figured out some others problems with that. E.g. when you stop video playback inside of MyMusic or MyTV then the watched status was also not updated, because the MyVideos view was left to go to MyMusic/MyTV. I added another way to prevent trouble with 3rd party plugins playing video.
    Beside that I added some new code to always handle the player events properly inside of the Titles view, to be able to correctly set watched and resume status on stopped/ended events.
    So eventually I hope that it now works in any situation. Please find attached binary to test and give feedback.

Attachments

• MyVideo_fix_for_marking_of_watched_videos_in_Titles_view.zip
      466.7 KB
    • MyVideo_fix_for_marking_of_watched_videos_in_Titles_view.patch
      10.9 KB

Migue

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2006
    Florida
    The new patch works but still not the same behavior as in 1.0.2.
    Now the movie's watched status is set even if only 1 second is played (like Video Shares).
    In 1.0.2 the watched status is only set if the movie is played to the end(or skipped to the end).

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    GhoSe - thanks for taking a look at this. I can confirm Migue's findings. In MP 1.0.2. the watched status was set correctly after a video was played/watched.

With your fix: MyVideo_fix_for_marking_of_watched_videos_in_Titles_view.zip, it is improved, BUT:

1. Status is set to watched as soon as I use a skip step or ff for a few seconds.
    2. If I change the status to unwatched (using Context Menu IMDB option), then I go to the play the file, it still shows a resume option, which it did not in MP 1.0.2. When I select the Resume option, it resumes from the previous point (even though it should be reset when I change the status to Unwatched) and then it automatically changes the status to watched :confused:

Hope that helps?

GhoSe

Portal Pro
    December 17, 2007
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    GhoSe - thanks for taking a look at this. I can confirm Migue's findings. In MP 1.0.2. the watched status was set correctly after a video was played/watched.

With your fix: MyVideo_fix_for_marking_of_watched_videos_in_Titles_view.zip, it is improved, BUT:

1. Status is set to watched as soon as I use a skip step or ff for a few seconds.
    2. If I change the status to unwatched (using Context Menu IMDB option), then I go to the play the file, it still shows a resume option, which it did not in MP 1.0.2. When I select the Resume option, it resumes from the previous point (even though it should be reset when I change the status to Unwatched) and then it automatically changes the status to watched :confused:

Hope that helps?

To 1: For my feeling thats ok that way. It's just done exactly like in shares view. Why shall it work different in DB View? That's just confusing IMHO.
    To 2: I did no changes there, but I expect that the reset of the resume time is just not implemented. And because the whole watched state stuff wasn't implemented properly in DB View, you maybe haven't noticed that yet. But anyway I can have a look at this one. Shouldn't be hard to add the resetting of the resume time.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Hope that helps?

To 1: For my feeling thats ok that way. It's just done exactly like in shares view. Why shall it work different in DB View? That's just confusing IMHO.

Actually I would say that the shares view behavior is and has been broken. Instead of allowing that bug to be now present in DB view the shares view bug should be fixed. After all video should be considered as watched when it has been watched, not when someone has started to watch it.

It's worth a new debate if the watched status should be turned on after 80% of the content has been watched or would it require the whole 100% to be watched. But that's for 1.2.x.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    It is most definitely not "OK that way" for me.. Users have been using it the correct way for many versions and I do not think the correct behaviour should be changed. Rather the bug in Shares View should be fixed. Tourettes said it all very well, I agree completely.

xvffx

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    tourettes;623985 It's worth a new debate if the watched status should be turned on after 80% of the content has been watched .[/QUOTE said:
    who ever watches the end credits ? (well, my 8 year old does, but he doesn't count) ;)

Vff

GhoSe

Portal Pro
    December 17, 2007
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hm jeah for me personally it makes no sense to only mark videos as watched when I watched them until the end. The only point where this could make a little sense is for movies in my opinion. The problem I see is that we don't have an indicator for "partly" watched videos. So you can't see which ones you have started watching and can be resumed.
    But anyway, thats just a matter of opinion, actually I did no changes on the way how it's done. I just used the code that was already there. So when we like to change the behavior then we maybe should create a poll?
    To be honest I don't understand atm how this could have worked different, even when going a while back through the svn logs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom