WebSkin 2013: WebMP Skinning Contest (1 Viewer)

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    WebSkin 2013
    Contest Status:

Entries: 10
    @hutstein, @MrEMan, @Dragy, @regurge, @hafblade, @ThaClown, @Kelsey Armstrong, @Robke22
    @sbir, @Alex Griffis
    Judges: 03
    Begin Date: 01/11/13
    Current End Date: 03/12/2013
    Prizes and Other Information

Please read our blog here.
    Contest Details/Rules:

1) The contest will initially run for 6 weeks, with an option to extend it for 2 more weeks. This will give even the busiest of web designers enough time to deliver a completed skin. Once it is nearing the 6 week mark I will reach out to each skinner and ask if they require 2 more weeks or not. The majority will decide this one way or the other.
    2) Any resulting skin WILL have to be considered open source just as any other MediaPortal extension or skin. The skinner can apply the appropriate GPL license.
    3) Any skin created before or during the contest can be considered for the contest (jQui being the exception, as it is not eligible by default) but skins created before the start most likely will get frozen 2-4 weeks into the contest if they are to be considered, due to unfair time differences.
    4) For a skin to be considered "completed" it will have to allow for access to each section currently being offered by the default skin. As the default skin will be the "measuring stick" for this contest, for a skin to be considered it must be significantly different than the default skin. The only exception is using the "layout" of the default skin (much like BlueShift), that is perfectly acceptable.
    5) The winner will be decided by a panel of judges. Who are the judges? Anyone who uses WebMP who will NOT be submitting a skin. (Want to be a judge? See "Become a Judge" section below) There will be a final panel of 3 judges consisting of myself, Vuego and one other team member to be named later. This final panel is only to oversee any ties or handle any possible cheating.
    6) It will be up to the skinner to research any and all legal issues they may result in acceptance of contest prizes (it is possible that some countries will not allow you to participate, while rare, it is in your best interest to make sure). In other words, Lyfesaver74 assumes NO RESPONSIBILITY for any legal action that might occur due to an individual winning a prize. (Basically if you live in N. Korea or something like that, don't participate. Remember that the prizes might have to be shipped from Lyfesaver74 in the US and not the originating manufacturer/retailer, and some countries do not play nice with the US)
    7) While shipping will be paid for by Lyfesaver74, any accrued customs charges must be paid by the winner.

---Become a Judge---

To become a judge one must be willing to try each skin submitted, judging every section with an overall score, and a small detailed pros/cons on the sections you would use the most (saved media, live TV, etc). Simply send Lyfesaver74 a private message informing him you wish to be a judge.

A small pool of basic MP T-Shirts will be passed out to those who are willing to be a judge. This will be random. The more judges, the larger the pool of T-Shirts.

---Become a WebSkinner---

To enter the contest and become an official WebSkinner, simply send a private message to Trevor informing him you wish to enter. Lyfesaver74 will send you an introductory message with everything you need to begin skinning. Entries will only be accepted during the first 4 weeks of the contest.

WebSkin 2013 FAQ

Please feel free to ask any question in this thread. Common questions w/answer will be pasted below as they are asked and answered.

Last edited:

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    All skinners, feel free to contact me (either here, in a PM or in #mp-extended on IRC / Freenode) if you've any technical questions regarding WebMediaPortal or creating a skin :) Also see the not-yet-completed skinners guide on the wiki.

Last edited:

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    #MP-Extended in IRC Freenode is the best way to get a hold of Oxan, myself and many other people involved in the WebMediaPortal project. Oxan and myself stay logged in, so as long as you use our names when you ask a question, we will get it. Even if we are gone or asleep.

You can even log in with a web browser here: http://webchat.freenode.net/

Dragy

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Cool, so I can participate with my BlueShift skin :) I only don't fully understand how it can be frozen?
    Any skin created before or during the contest can be considered for the contest (jQui being the exception, as it is not eligible by default) but skins created before the start most likely will get frozen 2-4 weeks into the contest if they are to be considered, due to unfair time differences.
    What does it mean?

This contest is a good reason to polish some things soon, like adding the movies/tvseries categories :)

Last edited:

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think he means that he'll use the version of 2-4 weeks before the deadline instead of the version on the date of the deadline, because you started earlier.

Dragy

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Okay, then my question is, when is my deadline? Unfortunately I'm very busy till 31st this month and so won't work on it this month (probably). I think I can do all the work I have to do on 1 and 2 february.

Last edited:

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    Just means that... while others will get the full 6 weeks to submit the final skin (i.e. no more additions after that date will be considered, you can continue to develop, but only the one before your stop date will be considered), BlueShift would only get 4 weeks til it has to be submitted. If the other skinners get the extended 2 weeks, BlueShift would get one additional week. This is done because BlueShift has an advantage of being worked on for these previous weeks as well.

You have another option, to create a new skin just for the contest.

Put it to you this way Dragy.. if you just submitted BlueShift as it is now, the worst is you would get a T-Shirt =)

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    Okay, then my question is, when is my deadline? Unfortunately I'm very busy till 31st this month and so won't work on it this month (probably). I think I can do all the work I have to do on 1 and 2 february.

Well we wil have to go by the honor system. If you tell me you wont work on it (much, if at all) until Feb, then I can say you would have the full time as everyone else, sure.

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    You are just in a unique situation, and as along as whatever we decide is fair to everyone else, it is okay by me =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom