What's your top 3 requests after 0.2 Final. (5 Viewers)

gxmikey

August 12, 2007
- Give the music player the ability to play video files. I know this sounds redundant, but as someone who likes to listen to his full music collection on shuffle, I always thought it would be nice if you could add music videos to the shuffle. The video would show in place of the visualization (which would show during normal audio files).
- please keep position/playlist even after a restart or "stop"

I would wish that after restarting MP, while in music menu, I could just press "play" and resume latest playlist/song ..

I'd love to echo these requests and add one of my own.

- Video play all in a directory, or an option automatically play the next file in the directory without going through the steps of adding it to a playlist would be most welcome

ldanix

Portal Member
May 22, 2007
My Requests

I must second the previous poster for playing video files one after another without having to set up a playlist. This only seems logical.

VLC integration as the default player for both music and video would solve the issue of being able to add music videos to the music playlist. If this is done, then we need the ability to update VLC from their website so, even though MP may not have a new release out, we can still gain features and bug fixes available for VLC. This would make one less portion of the program that the development team needs to worry about after full integration. So, I vote for that too.

I would like to have a keyboard command to instantly start playing all music or videos in a directory (and subdirectories) in shuffle mode.

Those are my three big requests. :D

Here's a few more that aren't important to functionality but may be fun to play with later.

Animated skins: Backgrounds, buttons, menus, transitions, etc.

A fully-3D environment-based skin system would be really cool (with reflections, transparency, particles, etc). Since it will be taxing on processors- give the option- standard 2D skin or 3D environment.

Use visulization or currently playing video as background- overlay the menus. This makes the media more central to the experience.

fanoI

Portal Pro
December 26, 2006
I think with this improvements it is perfect!

1) The next/previous button plays the previous / next video file while in full screen (I miss a lot this function from my divx player) ---> now they are unused button!!!
2) Forced subtitle in an external srt file must be played automatically with the avi file as they do in the real DVD
3) The ability to play internet tv on my TV (but for this we have to wait TvEngine 3, I think)

fanoI

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    IMO your post is not much more specific than writing "Better MediaPortal".

Consider elaborating what you mean by "better", like detailed improvements and new features.

papas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2006
    Nicosia
    Home Country
    Cyprus Cyprus
    1) would really love to see a better movies plugin, something like tv series but for movies
    2) browse,install,setup plugins and skins through media portal
    3) integration of vlc or mpc for alternative players instead of the default one

pannivas

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2006
    Nicosia
    Home Country
    Cyprus Cyprus
    IMO your post is not much more specific than writing "Better MediaPortal".

Consider elaborating what you mean by "better", like detailed improvements and new features.

First of all don’t get me wrong for my post below. I love MP and I don’t see myself ever using something else other than MP for my HTPC. I appreciate and I am grateful for all the hard work that was done and is still being done on MP. My words below are merely suggestions that will probably make MP incorporate a better Media player engine. Some of them might not even make sense to a windows application developer but some maybe so I will just post them.

By Better I mean better video/audio playback (UI is amazing). If you compare the MP media player with lets say Media Player Classic (MPC) the Media Portal (MP) player is inferior to MPC. With MPC you get a much better Picture Quality (PQ), Sound, the out of the box playback of any video/audio codec and custom use of external codecs for more advanced and demanding users.

The better PQ and sound was not all that noticeable with SD movies but now with HD movies which are much more demanding and have a better PQ/sound you can easily see the PQ and Sound quality differences between MP and MPC. Many times you get choppy video playback, bad blocks and complete crashes of MP when using various codecs with various containers.
    a) mkv with x264 codec and ac3 or DTS
    b) ts with mpeg2 or h264 codec and ac3 or DTS
    c) xvid with x264 and ac3 or DTS

It is not the problem of the video file because if you open the exact same file on the exact same computer with MPC you get an amazing PQ and sound with no problems at all.

By incorporating something like MPC (video/audio playback functionality and settings) into MP and using MP UI then you get an amazing video/audio player and a lot of trouble free codec support, because MPC plays pretty much any codec out of the box, and if not then there is an easy way to specify your own external codecs in case you don’t get a video output or you prefer something else.

I am not a windows application developer so maybe this doesn’t make any sense to MP developers but maybe it does so I will just say it.

Since MPC is open source would it be ever possible to incorporate MPC’s functionality and settings into MP and keep the MP superior UI?
    I was thinking if it’s possible to have all those great and easy settings that MPC has into MP Configuration and have a great video/audio player (MPC like) with a great UI (MP like). That in my opinion will make the perfect media player for Media Portal and I think that many users will be happy of such a big change.

I maybe wrong but the MP media player has not received any major updates for a long time now. Support for High-Def playback is nicely incorporated on the TV engine but I do not see it on the media player engine.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    3) integration of vlc or mpc for alternative players instead of the default one

There is a VLC plugin - and plugins ofr the usage of this to IP-TV (perhaps more). There is also plugins for other players like MPlayer.

@papas and pannivas
    I thought MPC and MP-player would give equivalent PQ if you use same codecs (since they both are DirectShow-player), but I might be wrong. I believe MPC uses FFDShow - at least if you DL K-lite package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom