Widescreen TV with non-widescreen resolution (1 Viewer)

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
I am using a non widescreen resolution (720x576) on a widescreen display and it works fine. I just use the MediaPortal calibration to set the corners and the pixel aspect ratio to square and it works fine for me (can't get my TV to synch to a 60Hz 1080i picture, can't get my graphics card to output a 50Hz picture).

Mendingo

Portal Member
March 15, 2006
Jawbroken: Could you describe the technique you used for setting the corners? It seems to me that having the pixel ratio set to square is the cause of the problem. A square pixel in a 720x576 display would be streached by the widescreen TV.

Have you tried the method I described to create a widescreen resolution (or do you not have a GeForce card?). If so, at what point did it fail?

Pigboy: At least 1280x768 is the correct aspect ratio. Is your TV a flat panel or a CRT? Have you tried creating a custom resolution?

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
I have a GeForce 6600GT, but I am using component out and this is the best resolution I can get working.

If you set the corners and then set the pixel aspect ratio setting so the rectangle on screen becomes square then this gives MediaPortal an idea of how pixels map onto the screen.

This is how it works for me, anyway.

EDIT: This is in the Settings menu in MediaPortal, under screen calibration, in case that wasn't clear.

pigboy307

Portal Member
March 10, 2006
Mendingo said:
Pigboy: At least 1280x768 is the correct aspect ratio. Is your TV a flat panel or a CRT? Have you tried creating a custom resolution?

TFT flat panel screen so it acts like a monitor , dont think i need much of this business, custom resolution just default back.

Just wondering if a fresh install will help as i took ATi card to replace with Nvidia??

Mendingo

Portal Member
March 15, 2006
Pigboy... I'm not entirely sure exactly what problem you're having.

What's wrong with the 1280x768 resolution you have? It's 16:9, and it's probably the correct resolution for the TV.

Why are you trying to get 1024x576? It's the same aspect ratio, just with less detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom