Windows 8: Would You Update? (1 Viewer)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    1. Does the MCE remote control work inside MP?
    2. Can I go to and from S3 standby with my MCE remote control (as I do currently in win7)?

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    MCE Works :)
    About S3 (i have also button on keyboard and it works too)
    I like win8. (dev and htpc are already working with it)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I'm thinking I should buy the upgrade to win8 pro before the price rises from $40 to $200. I'm thinking I need to pay two times tho.. For 2 pcs?

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have tried windows 8 for exactly 2 hours.. I really don't understand the decission of Microsoft to release Windows 8 for desktop pc's.. It's horrible!! Looking ugly, and it's hard to control with a mouse and keyboard..

But that said, for an htpc could it maybe be a bit different as you don't control an htpc using mouse and keyboard. (if everything is running fine)

Under the hood, Windows 8 is a very good and fast os, only the metro interface and lack of a startbutton is a big showstopper for me..

If you are not shure if you want to buy a license, download windows 8, as you have 30 days to try it, and than make your choice. :)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yep @ fisrt start button is a big change but after, i like the new menu :) search is fast, but you are right, that change how to get stuff compared to win7 :)
    Now i used to that and it's cool :p

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Alright u sold me lol.. Running my client over multiseat on win8pro. My tv server is still win7. My only issue is with the dynamic refresh rate changer.. I need to take another look at it.

Paul Shirley

Portal Pro
    November 3, 2008
    It says a license works on 5 devices , but u need a license on each pc.. Little confused.
    No, you can buy up to 5 licences at the reduced rate. In theory each would need a different existing installed Win7/Vista/XP copy to upgrade from, in practice I'm not convinced they bother checking. They definitely don't if you use an install DVD with your key for a clean install instead of the upgrade download.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom