Windows Home Server (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    running MediaPortal or TV-Server on Windows Server versions is NOT RECOMMENDED

The reason is simply that Microsoft does not release certain bugfixes for their Serverversion (i.e. directshow hotfixes, bda/dvb hotfixes).

So it is possible that you run into unsolveable issues, since the hotix is not released for your Server OS.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I recommend going to http://www.freenas.org and using that as your OS, it is free! I am currently getting my older (much older) computer configured to also use slimserver with freenas. May take me a week or two - also getting files transferred back & forth to clean up system - I am slow!

-Mike

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Hi everybody!

I know from the Wiki that TV-Server and MediaPortal in Win 2k3-Server is not supported. However, I'd like to try, whether it works with my configuration anyway...

I read several times that the TV-Server in general works on 2k3-Server. I would also like to run MediaPortal (especially the TV-Client) on that 2k3-Server-Box. Has anyone at all got MediaPortal and in particular the TV-client to run on 2k3-Server? If not, I'd save a lot of time for installing the 2k3-Server...

Thanks,
    Michael

thomasi

September 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    About WHS - from Microsoft directly.

Hi all!

I can see that there are several questions about Microsoft Windows Home Server as an O/S.
    Well, working at the company and evaluating a lot of next gen features/versions, and as well running both "home made" H/W and HP Media Smart Server (OEM) I have a couple of things for you all to consider. Take theese words as my PERSONAL advises and NOT OFFICIAL STATEMENTS FROM MICROSOFT - ok?

1. Microsoft Windows Home Server is (normally) OEM-installed. This means you buy the hardware already installed, configured and fixed from a vendor. You do not build your own machine and get the "OEM-DVD/CD kit" and install by your self. Why? Easy. MSWHS comes with it's own user interface (UI) that holds a truckload of special treats and if you ever log on to the actual Windows Server 2003 console or desktop you might end up crashing your server totally. Believe me, this is not something you want to do, especially when you eventually thought your wife, kids, parents and who else might be involved to go get the latest family photo's on your server...

2. MSWHS is the coolest PC-backup released to market yet. In case you have a PC in you network (which I guess you have, that's why you are reading this aren't you? =o) ) you just might want a backup of your machine/s. Come on - how many times have you actually backed upp all your content - even less so - your full system and drives - to a DVD or HDD? ;o) I know, I should live as I learn - but I don't. My WHS DOES. Every night (or what ever your personal needs may schedule) the WHS makes a FULL SYSTEM AND DISK BACKUP of all my seven computers and servers (ok, I AM a nerd) with out my notice... Should the PC be sleeping of some sort - there is a wake on lan feature that can be installed as an add-on.

3. RAID... Ok, I thought H/W raid was the "shit". Well it IS in some sense, but at HOME... well... nah... maybe not. I have a machine that accepts any disk size at any I/O and just add's to total storage. This is not a possible thing with ordinary RAID solutions (might be but not for the $850 a HP Media Smart Server (64-bit) will cost you in Sweden). I just add any storage I've got (Internal SATA, USB, E-SATA and so on) and click the icon "Add to storage" and it works like a charm. OK, it means similar functionality as RAID 0 (speed, no security) but then again - you may check the box for each folder on your storage called "Duplicate folder" - to get RAID 1 (OK speed, more safe) to get your data duplicated between 2 hard-drives (you don't need to bother which two). Works like a charm for my personal folders, my digital photos and PC back-ups. The movies and the music that consumes the most space is not so important to duplicate. It's already on a CD or DVD isn't it??? ;o)
    Also, the back-up feature use so called "BITS-technology" at a pretty high level. Having backed up a byte - it will not back that byte up again, just fill a log with the information. This means that 3 Windows Vista machines with the same service-pack and updates applied will consume the space of just about ONE Windows Vista machine when backed up as we only store the information ONCE.

4. Free domain. Microsoft provides your own domain-name for free. Hosted through DYN-DNS. So, I've tried running my WHS inside a NAT:ed net, behind a firewall, at an ADSL connection. Well, in the original setup you get asked for a domain name (if you want one) and it auto-magically configures your router and DYN-DNS.org for you. Microsoft will own the HOST name, but the "sub host" is yours. So - "xxxxxxxxxxxx.Homeserver.com" is yours - free of charge. Use? Well, my family (mother, father at one adress and Sister at another) can easily access all content on the web - through SSL connectivity. No more "can you please e-mail the pic's from last christmas?".
    In the web interface you can access all your personal shares or any media folders published (whatever folder you create can be shared) as well as all the PCs running XP or Vista in your home through Terminal Services (RDP Proxy). Machine down? Well, do your nic support wake-on-LAN you can easily download an add-on to get it running remotely.

This is just the 4 most used features in MY setup at home. Could probably tell you more if I weren't so tired.... ;o)
    Oh, there are a bunch of free add-ons (and some that cost you money of course) that some of you guys would like. Like "WebGuide" for example. This add-on (with the correct codecs installed on the server of course) will allow you to STREAM any content to what ever Windows compatible device you hold. E.g. - the other day I was watching the latest HD-DVD (ripped) James Bond movie through my GPRS/3G connected HTC TyTN in the car wash... interesting.

Oh, do you ad the add-on's add-on "PRISM" you may even stream your EPG or TV-Card from your Media Center (sorry 'bout that guys!) PC as if it was a movie... There might be a feature for Media Portal to support? I mean - a TV Server device back home with multiple cards through Prism and WebGuide would be a killer for me in a "all TV-channels dubbed German/French/Spanish hotelroom" with some W-LAN and a PC... ;o)

Please feel free to contact me with any questions. I'm not THE guy, but I might be able to help.
    Please also bear in mind that I'm not at this forum that often, so if it's sort of urgent I beg you to send me a piece of e-mail directly.

Last thing... how can anything be urgent when sent through e-mail.... ;o)

Best regards;
    Thomas Ingemarsson

Zappza

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks for the briefing!
    Really learned a lot from that post. I am going to upgrade to WHS next week, just a bit worried about the drive extender part, as my HDDs are mostly full of data allready, so I have to use a lot of time to copy the data back and forth.

infy

Portal Member
    January 27, 2006
    The only interesting thing about whs is how it handles hdd(space).

I strongly advice against installing it.

Most people here probably have enough sense to install a real operating system.
    Sure if you're the typical windowsmediacenter user.... whs is probably for you.

All the things he summed up can be done with v little effort and knowhow using a real operating. Doesn't even have to be a server version. Windows xp pro will do just fine.

Don't limit yourself and don't trust anything microsoft says :)

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

All the things he summed up can be done with v little effort and knowhow using a real operating. Doesn't even have to be a server version. Windows xp pro will do just fine.

Pretty bland post infy... would be nice if you could back up your claims with some substance.

FYI, i am running ( and have been for several weeks now ) WHS with TV Server installed.
    No hickups at all.. running 100% fine.

Zappza

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

If you could explain to me how I could get similar functionality as the Drive Extender does, please do! That reason is for me the only thing that makes me want to upgrade to WHS.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    i wonder if this thread is going off-topic......
    the initial question was if WHS is able to host MediaPortal.

and as you can read in other threads, no it is not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom