WORKING: MediaPortal 1.1.x, MPWebServices RC3, Windows 7 (1 Viewer)

AcesHigh

Portal Member
August 12, 2010
Home Country
Hi all. First post. Just wanted to drop in, give some thanks and perhaps some tips that I managed to get from reading these forums over the last two years. I’m no programmer, but I love to “tinker” which is probably the same for a lot of us who use MediaPortal.

The main thing I use MediaPortal for is for watching TV with gemx’s TVClient - a BIG thank you to gemx for all your hard work. When we upgraded to MP v1.1.0 I was horrified that TVClient was no longer supported – instead we moved on to MPWebServices.

I just wanted to post a little “how to” which gives a bit more detail for those (like me) who aren’t totally familiar with all this stuff.

System
Windows 7 (32-bit) UAC enabled
Internet Explorer 8
MediaPortal v1.1.0 - 1.1.1
MPWebServices RC3

After installing the msi you need to edit gentle.config (a text file) located in
C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\Plugins\MPWebServices\htdocs

You need to edit the <DefaultProvider/> line specifying:
Server= the IP address or computer name where your TVSever is running
Database=MpTvDb
User ID=root
Password=MediaPortal
Above values are given by default MP installation. If you are unsure then cut and paste from gentle.config located at: C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal

The line should look similar to this:

Code:
<DefaultProvider name="MySQL" connectionString="Server=192.168.0.100;Database=MpTvDb;User ID=root;Password=MediaPortal;charset=utf8;Connection Timeout=300;" />

Next, backup the folder: C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\Plugins\MPWebServices\htdocs\bin

Replace the following DLL’s in the bin folder with the newer versions located in MediaPortal TVServer folder: C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server

Gentle.Common.dll
Gentle.Framework.dll
Gentle.Provider.MySQL.dll
Gentle.Provider.SQLServer.dll
MySql.Data.dll
TvControl.dll
TVDatabase.dll
TvLibrary.Interfaces.dll

I didn’t need to do the extra steps shown in this post.

Next, run MediaPortal TVServer Configuration. Go to Plugins and tick WebServices. Select the Webservices plugin that has now appeared on the left side. You can now configure the settings.

For testing just leave default settings including default user name and blank password. It is possible to login if you set a blank username and password, but for me it won’t stream to VLC (using .m3u playlist method), so don't use a blank user name for now. On further testing it appears that USERNAME must be at least two characters long.

To get TV logos to appear, the Streaming URL must be in the same format as the one you will use to login. If you login using this format: http://192.168.0.100:8080, then Streaming URL must be syntactically the same. Alternatively if you login using this format: http://PC-NAME:8080, then use this syntax for Streaming URL. It can find png files but not jpg’s.

Important to restart the TV Service after you’ve made changes to the configuration.

Use Resource Monitor (from Task Manager) to look at Listening Ports located at the bottom of the Network tab. You should see TvService.exe listening to port 8080 and firewall status should say “allowed…”. Make sure you are looking at PORT, not PID numbers – they look similar.

Try to connect using the browser (eg. my server IP is 192.168.0.100, computer name is “PC-NAME”)
http://192.168.0.100:8080 <- this works best (fast)
http://PC-NAME:8080 <- also works (but few seconds lag)
192.168.0.100:8080 <- this does not work (lazy ppl like me who don't want to type http etc.) :)
PC-NAME:8080 <- and this does not work

To get Streaming working, most of the settings are explained in the Helpfile (button at top right). To give you a bit more detail…

Player installed on client has two disadvantages:
1. the bat file fires up an ugly DOS box and the box stays open unless you close it or vlc.
2. the path to “client streaming player” must be exactly the same for each client, so if it is set to C:\vlc.exe in the server config then it won’t work if your local copy on the client is at D:\vlc.exe for example.

VLC Browser Plugin - I haven’t used it but reading the helpfile it looks like VLC plays in a browser window similar to Youtube. If this is for you, then you need to have the VLC plugin installed on the client.

.m3u playlist – I don’t personally use playlists for anything so I’m happy to associate .m3u with VLC. On most systems m3u would normally be associated with Windows Media Player by default (I suppose for Windows "N" m3u is not associated with anything by default). As WMP is not good for streaming, if you want to use this method, you need to associate m3u with VLC. There are two ways that I’ve done this:

Method 1. Search for *.m3u on your system. I found that some got installed with MediaPortal at: C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\TuningParameters\dvbip
Select one of those and “Open With” then “Choose default program” find VLC and tick “Always use the selected program”

Method 2. If you can’t find any m3u files then you can generate one using the streamer itself. Start a stream in the web client, when the box comes up select “Save”, remember where you saved it, then follow the above steps to associate m3u with VLC.

Once you have it working, then maybe try a prettier skin.

Hope this helps some people. I really don’t know much more than what I’ve written here so I probably won’t be much help if you have any problems. Once again :D to gemx!

EDIT Just tested on MP v1.1.1. I had some problems with the MP upgrade - got outdated TVPlugin error. After I got that sorted I had to reinstall MPWebservices using the above procedure and it worked. Note, I had to reboot so Windows firewall would open port 8080 again.

gunck4

Portal Pro
December 8, 2007
Home Country
Finland Finland
Re: AW: WORKING: MediaPortal 1.1.0, MPWebServices RC3, Windows 7

Works! Thx :)
Worked for me too but I have a feeling that the TVService becomes very unstable especially after suspend/resume.

It would be very nice with a new compatible version of the MPWebServices!

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Re: WORKING: MediaPortal 1.1.0, MPWebServices RC3, Windows 7

Will ask gemx to take a look. Expecially to avoid using a new copy of gentle.config and all those DLL from Tv-Server.

Simone

ravenrocks

Portal Pro
    October 11, 2007

MPTVClient 1.3.3 compiled against RC4 still works for me.
    Search the forums for it.

dietbutcher

Portal Member
    February 4, 2007

Thank you for this.

The web server is up and running on port81 I can login and access the GUI, the problem I am having is nothing will play after I get the .m3u or .bat file. I am using the Direct profile and an example URL in the m3u/Bat File is

http://192.168.0.23:81/Streamer.asp...B794453726F446A2B6D6D42627165574677424C4A6F62

I've tried all 3 options in the plugin config (m3u/Browser/Bat file).

The m3u and bat files download fine from the server, they just don't open up in VLC or any other software.

I've checked the Log file and Streamer.aspx seems to think the files don't exist, yet when I copy the exact location of the file from the log file, it finds the file no problem.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

AcesHigh

Portal Member
    August 12, 2010
    Home Country

Hi I've just added a section in my first post about streaming, hopefully there is something in there that can help you.

dietbutcher

Portal Member
    February 4, 2007

Thanks for the response. My m3us are associated and open with VLC, but the streaming doesn't start when they are opened.

AcesHigh

Portal Member
    August 12, 2010
    Home Country

This happens to me when I have a blank username and now I've just worked out it also happens if your username is only one character, so your username is not just one character is it? Lazy people :) See? Should have followed my advice and "left it as default" :D I edited my first post again...

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Thank you very much for the great explanations AcesHigh :)

I am working on a very huge project since nearly 10 months now so i haven't had much time to work on MP or the other tools.
    But i will take the next week off just to relax and do some coding again.
    So hopefully there will be a new release of MPWebServices beginning of September :)

I hope you don't mind if use some of your texts in the introduction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom