XP\Vista known issues With Mediaportal. (1 Viewer)

psykoman

Portal Pro
August 30, 2006
Graz
Home Country
Austria Austria
I support that, I know you coding guys put a lot of work in this wonderful piece of software, but please fix the EVR issues. ZoomPlayer works like a charm using EVR Renderer.
I think EVR is correcting problems with different levels for SD/HD material as well as providing a much smoother playback when not running TV at same fps as source. I migrated to Vista because of EVR, so I hope all the best for the next MP release.
Thanks in advance to all the working guys!

Nice, like problems, but prefer them with the answer.

We know the problems with this, and they may be here to stay, until MP2 or someone supplies us with a fix.

Within Vista, getting MP to use EVR properly would solve the levels issue. Using the same codecs and EVR in an external player such as Zoom Player the levels are fine, but selecting the same codecs and EVR in MP then the levels are all wrong, which is very strange.

--------

UPDATE: Switched back to VMR9 in Vista using Nvidia 169.25 and the levels are now correct using the latest SVN build. IIRC the levels were off prior to using the latest SVN build. EVR is still screwed up though.

I will see what happens when using the latest nvidia drivers.

UPDATE2: Installing the latest WHQL nvidia drivers 175.16, both VMR9 and EVR levels are incorrect on Vista. Using 169.25 appears to the best option at present.

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Blacks are grey, easily noticable when playing widescreen material. The black bars at the top and bottom do not match up with black on the video. Good example is when a movie starts or star wars scrolling introduction.

Depends what driver you are using (anything past 169.xx appears to have issues) and codecs, you can set it to convert colorspace within codecs but not all codecs you can change the settings.

Did you guys check the nvidia controll panel and changed the level settings from/to 0-255/16-235.
    For me, black is black using 0-255, have also grey bars using 16-235.
    In fact, this setting is one of the thing i like about nvidia cards. Not sure i ATI cards have that option now, too.
    Its only kind of "hidden" somehow, Its the video color settings, first menu and then the advanved i guess ( Erweitert )

I can prove that with a screenshot or photo if wanted. This settings is included for a long time now and worked well for me.

tamvegas

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Blacks are grey, easily noticable when playing widescreen material. The black bars at the top and bottom do not match up with black on the video. Good example is when a movie starts or star wars scrolling introduction.

Depends what driver you are using (anything past 169.xx appears to have issues) and codecs, you can set it to convert colorspace within codecs but not all codecs you can change the settings.

Did you guys check the nvidia controll panel and changed the level settings from/to 0-255/16-235.
    For me, black is black using 0-255, have also grey bars using 16-235.
    In fact, this setting is one of the thing i like about nvidia cards. Not sure i ATI cards have that option now, too.
    Its only kind of "hidden" somehow, Its the video color settings, first menu and then the advanved i guess ( Erweitert )

I can prove that with a screenshot or photo if wanted. This settings is included for a long time now and worked well for me.

Agree. Setting color levels to 0-255 makes a significant difference. Been running like this on nVidia 8400gt for a while and at factory settings it looks way too washed out.

thekitehunte

Portal Member
    December 16, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hibernate wouldn't stick, but resumed almost immediately once MP was first used to watch TV. Installing MP gave no problem, but immediately after looking at TV and from then on, even with MP closed and the TV Server and SQL service stopped, hibernate would no longer stick. Disabling the integral network card and any services that showed up in Event Manager after the resume made no difference. ASUS P5E-VM HDMI motherboard
    I've deleted the solution I original posted as it didn't stick - a reboot made the problem start again. I've now installed Windows from a fresh XP SP3 disk, downloaded all the latest hardware drivers and installed MP RC4 - nothing else, still the same problem. I'll be back with a solution, if I find one...

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hibernate wouldn't stick, but resumed almost immediately once MP was first used to watch TV. Installing MP gave no problem, but immediately after looking at TV and from then on, even with MP closed and the TV Server and SQL service stopped, hibernate would no longer stick. Disabling the integral network card and any services that showed up in Event Manager after the resume made no difference. Eventually tracked it down to the 'Asus Splendid' program running (its an ASUS P5E-VM HDMI motherboard) in the system tray. Uninstalling this cured the problem.

Added

:D

winniwinter

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2009
    Freiburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hello,

im not sure if this is a known problem. but at the moment I have also a problem with evr+vista and the correct fps
    have a look at the last pages of automatic refreshrate changer
    the problem is that @24hz sound is getting asychronous with mediaportal. the problem is that evr gets the wrong fps information. instead of 23,9xx it's getting somethin like 60...
    with 50 or 60hz there is no sync probs. I would youse VMR9 but if I start playback mp minimizes or I just get a black screen ( I am not the only one)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hello,

im not sure if this is a known problem. but at the moment I have also a problem with evr+vista and the correct fps
    have a look at the last pages of automatic refreshrate changer
    the problem is that @24hz sound is getting asychronous with mediaportal. the problem is that evr gets the wrong fps information. instead of 23,9xx it's getting somethin like 60...
    with 50 or 60hz there is no sync probs. I would youse VMR9 but if I start playback mp minimizes or I just get a black screen ( I am not the only one)

Please don't add that (yet). I am not able to reproduce this currently (using S/PDIF). Will try again with HDMI-PCM-Audio this weekend. Therefore this is most likely not a general Vista problem.

anvandarnamn

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    23,9xx it's getting somethin like 60

That sounds like codec is giving the false information.

have this problem to... I Have tried several codecs, ATI/Nvidia graphics... nothing works.

24hz refreshrate and 24p content with mediaportal and EVR is impossible,,,,

look at the EVR properties while watching a 23.976 movie in mediaportal. The framerate is no way near the correct instead of 23.976 its more like something random like "6544837". then look at the jitter , the amount is huge!

i think its the same problem with 60hz material , but somehow the AV sync is decent...

Everything works fine in any other directshow player

look at this picture, this is from a fresh install Ffdshow codecs, Ati graphics, Vista, Mediaportal 1.0.
    and yhis is while playing at 60hz im surprised it even works....

this is the same file played in Windows media player:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I think the problem is in mediaportals tsreader? everything works fine in any other directshow player

To rule TsReader out just simple rename the .ts file to .mkv and let haali splitter act as the source filter.

...but this discussion should happen is some other thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom