1.34 UHD Blu-ray "Cannot Play Index" error (1 Viewer)

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I just uninstalled AnyDVDHD due to RedFox being no longer reachable, and I have taken the MakeMKV route described in this thread.

While I can play at least one DVD and at least one Blu-ray disc, I tried playing a UHD Blu-ray disc and I get an error message whether or not I tell MePo to resume from 2:22 or "play video from beginning" that pops up after I select either of those two options and it says "Unable to Play Index".

I am attaching logs from both of the selections in MePo Watch dog, "collect all current logs" and "Report a bug to Media Portal".

Thanks.

Attachments

• MP_Logs_SKYVIEW_24_07_27_14_50.zip
      64 KB
    • MP_Logs_SKYVIEW_24_07_27_14_48.zip
      1.1 MB

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    I found a very old thread with a similar issue on regular Blu-ray discs, and it was apparently traced to an encryption issue. Is this possibly a decryption issure?

I should be fine with MakeMKV for decrypting UHD Blu-ray discs, however, I will check the MakeMKV configuration just to be sure. If its configured properly, I will also try ripping the disc to file and then try playing it with MePo.

I'll post my results.

Pablik

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 19, 2010
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    I just uninstalled AnyDVDHD due to RedFox being no longer reachable, and I have taken the MakeMKV route described in this thread.

While I can play at least one DVD and at least one Blu-ray disc, I tried playing a UHD Blu-ray disc and I get an error message whether or not I tell MePo to resume from 2:22 or "play video from beginning" that pops up after I select either of those two options and it says "Unable to Play Index".

I am attaching logs from both of the selections in MePo Watch dog, "collect all current logs" and "Report a bug to Media Portal".

Thanks.
    The BDReader log claerly shows decryption issue:
    Code:
    27-07-2024 14:50:02.979 [  b28]    BD_EVENT_READ_ERROR - 1
    27-07-2024 14:50:02.995 [  b28]    BD_EVENT_ENCRYPTED - AACS
    27-07-2024 14:50:02.995 [  b28]Read failed...failure on libbluray side

It seems the MakeMKV is unable to read the disc.
    If I'm not mistaken, the BDdrive's firmware must be patched to be able read UHD disc by MakeMKV.

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    The BDReader log claerly shows decryption issue:
    Code:
    27-07-2024 14:50:02.979 [  b28]    BD_EVENT_READ_ERROR - 1
    27-07-2024 14:50:02.995 [  b28]    BD_EVENT_ENCRYPTED - AACS
    27-07-2024 14:50:02.995 [  b28]Read failed...failure on libbluray side

It seems the MakeMKV is unable to read the disc.
    If I'm not mistaken, the BDdrive's firmware must be patched to be able read UHD disc by MakeMKV.
    Thanks for your reply.

I updated the firmware on my BD drive, (it is a "Certified" UHD drive) with the requisite firmware quite some time ago. AnyDVD HD was able to read and decrypt the disc, and in other posts I've made to these forums about UHD discs, it worked without issue. Is there, perhaps, another dll other than libmmbd.dll that needs to be used?

As I understand it, the firmware "update" on the drive, in combination with MakeMKV, allows software to directly access the data on the disc without going through anything in the firmware that would require firmware keys to be supplied.

However, I've read on the MakeMKV UHD FAQ that there is a setting that needs to be enabled to allow MakeMKV access to the internet so that it can automatically update itself with new keys for decryption as they become available. Perhaps AnyDVD HD had something similar and was able to decrypt the disc via a similar means. Its a bit confusing to me in that the solution plays the Blu-ray of the same movie and that AnyDVD HD was able to decrypt the UHD disc without issue.

Something just came up for me (isn't it how it always is), therefore, I'm not sure when I will be able to get back to this, but I will try enabling that setting, and also ripping the disc to HD if enabling the setting does not work. I will let you know how I make out. In the meantime, it seems that it is not an issue with MePo.

Thanks again.

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    @Pablik I finally got back to this, and I got it working.

What I did was this. I intended to copy the UHD-BR disc to my local hard drive, so I put the disc in the drive, and then brought up MakeMKV. In MakeMKV I went through the initial steps to copy the UHD-BR disc to my drive, and while MakeMKV was parsing the disc, I noticed a message that it had downloaded "the latest" hash table (I'm not entirely clear on what the message said) to my local hard drive.

I then decided that I would try playing the disc again in MePo before I copied it to my local hard drive, and MePo was successfully able to play it.

I figure that there must be some sort of function call that is made when going through the steps to copy a UHD disc to a local hard drive if MakeMKV sees that it does not have the proper hash table and that this same call is not made if that table is not present when trying to play a UHD-BR disc with an external application like MePo. My guess is that MakeMKV should make this call when a request is made to play a UHD-BR disc rather than push that responsibility off to the external application. I'll check into reporting this to the MakeMKV team. Perhaps they can implement something in MakeMKV that would resolve this situation.

Anyway, what I did appears to be a viable "work-around" for people wanting to play UHD-BR discs using MakeMKV.

Apologies for taking so long to get back to this.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom