1,6Ghz quad core or 1,9 Ghz dual-core? (1 Viewer)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Sapphire are continuing to release their mini-PCs, and at this CES, they are showing off some New ones, including 2 based on Trinity mobile parts, one has a 1,6Ghz quad core the other has a 1,9Ghz dual core

http://www.sapphiretech.com/present...d=1186&sgid=1190&pid=0&psn=000101&lid=1&leg=0

http://www.sapphiretech.com/present...d=1186&sgid=1189&pid=0&psn=000101&lid=1&leg=0

I'm thinking of picking one of these up, but how does MediaPortal handle multi-threading? Will it be better to og with a the lower clocked quad core or the higher clocked dual core?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Go for the one with the best GPU - the quad core A8. If you are using DXVA (normal situation these days), GPU performance is much more important to video playback smoothness than CPU performance. Also good software video decode filters (e.g. LAV, FFDShow) are multi-threaded for MPEG2 and H264, so overall the quad-core is likely to be better in that situation.

Tony

Last edited:

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks. yeah GPU is important as well, but neither of them should have any problems when it comes to video playback, it's more the loading-time/navigation/responsiveness I'm "concerned" about.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ok, thanks, I also notice that the quad-code one has 3 times the amount of stream processors aswell With 480 vs 160, though the speed seems to be about the same.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Ah yes, I was looking at the 7x00Ms and not the 7x00G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom