100% Free and open source Mediacenter (1 Viewer)

madsrh

Portal Pro
July 15, 2006
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
It's on it's way!

I always found it kind of annoying that I have to buy Windows XP to run an open source application like MediaPortal. It made me think, why not just buy Windows XP Media Center edition, but now there's a 100% free solution on it's way.

MediaPortal + ReactOS = the open source way :D

ReactOS is still in alpha. You can read more here: http://www.reactos.org

ReactOS® is a free, modern operating system based on the design of Windows® XP/2003. Written completely from scratch, it aims to follow the Windows® architecture designed by Microsoft from the hardware level right through to the application level. This is not a Linux based system, and shares none of the unix architecture.
The main goal of the ReactOS project is to provide an operating system which is binary compatible with Windows. This will allow your Windows applications and drivers to run as they would on your Windows system. Additionally, the look and feel of the Windows operating system is used, such that people accustomed to the familiar user interface of Windows® would find using ReactOS straightforward. The ultimate goal of ReactOS is to allow you to remove Windows® and install ReactOS without the end user noticing the change.

//MadsRH

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

interesting project. Since it doesn't support DirectX and .NET (currently) MP will not run on it. But maybe in the future. Would be nice.

Flip.

madsrh

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2006
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Not there yet.

No it won't run MP just yet, but I'm sure the final release will. Like I wrote in the first post - it's on it's way. ;)

piranha

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 17, 2005
    Considering that project is on "it's own way" since 1996, it will be some "more" time till prime time hits.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    ReactOS will be ready when MS has replaced windows with OS that is derived from Singularity based research :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom