Ongoing 3D Ready HD-HTPC Project (1 Viewer)

navalynt

Portal Member
November 4, 2007
Anchorage, AK
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So here's what I have ordered so far (on 6/6/2012):
  • Chassis: SilverStone Grandia GD02B
  • Motherboard: Biostar TA75M Socket F1
  • Processor: AMD A8-3850 CPU/APU Quad Core (2.9Ghz)
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3 (PC315000) Corsair Vengeneance
  • Video Card: AMD Radeon 6550HD (On-board/APU)
  • TV Tuner: Ceton InfiniTv 4
  • Hard Drive: Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD (SATA3)
  • Optical Drive: LG BD-ROM (forgot the model number)
  • Remote Control: Microsoft MCE Remote w/ IR

I'm planning on using Windows 7 Ultimate for the OS so it works with TunerSalad, just in case I decide to add in another Ceton InfiniTv 4 card (for another 4 tuners).

The driving force behind building a new HTPC is my wife "abusing" our Tivo premier. I can't watch a damned thing in the evening without a little pop-up telling me I need to change the channel or cancel the scheduled recording. The Tivo Premier only has two tuners, so the next step was to either build a new HTPC with more tuners or buy a bigger Tivo.

I carefully selected the Motherboard based on the expansion to 4 memory slots, having two PCIe 2.0 slots, and having HDMI output . With adding in the Ceton InfiniTV 4 in one of those PCIe slots I wanted another one available just in case I want to add a dedicated video card in the future.

I also realize that an SSD may seem like overkill for an HTPC but the prices on the smaller models are now sub-$100 and that's one less component to make noise in the living room.

This will be connecting to an LG 55LV5600 passive 3D TV so I would like to make sure I'm "3D Ready" that if I pop in a 3D BluRay disc it will playback correctly.

Where I need help!
I use MP 1.2.3 right now on my existing HTCP just for playing back MKV and MP4 files from my NAS share. I've never done any TV setup within MP, nor have I attempted to setup for BluRay playback. I would welcome any advise as to which work-arounds, plugins, and external application may be needed to make this install as efficient (and easy) as possible.

navalynt

Portal Member
November 4, 2007
Anchorage, AK
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I forgot to add that I also have a 2TB SATA2 WD "Green" drive for recording purposes from the tuner. The SSD is just for the OS and application installs, plus it's less heat and less noise to generate inside the case with two hard drives present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom