4TB not enough, hows this? (1 Viewer)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I think you're wrong there. A JBOD treats each and every harddrive as a separate one, and it does not stripe any data, this is what separates a JBOD from a Raid0.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I think you're wrong there. A JBOD treats each and every harddrive as a separate one, and it does not stripe any data, this is what separates a JBOD from a Raid0.
    It all depends on what you mean by JBOD :)

Hardware controllers often call it JBOD when individual drives are presented to the OS by themselfs. But JBOD can also mean a spanned set of irregularly sized disks. In the latter deffinition, there is one file system accross all the drives, so if one dies, the file system also dies (like having an entire platter of a hard drive dissapear).

Standard RAID levels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Many Linux distributions use the terms "linear mode" or "append mode". The Mac OS X 10.4 implementation — called a "Concatenated Disk Set" — does not leave the user with any usable data on the remaining drives if one drive fails in a concatenated disk set, although the disks otherwise operate as described above.

Ok, I've been up for 24 hours now, but that does say that contrary to the Linux/Mac you will not end up without any usable data doesn't it?

By JBOD I mean a bunch of disks presented to the user as one disk.

icebreakr

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I decided to go ahead and get two of these and set them both as JBOD and have one to store on and one for backups. I figure I can just run a weekly backup. This way, i it does fail, the backup will be a mirror of it. Just change the drive letter and go.

I'm also going to get Newegg.com - SANS DIGITAL TR4U-B 4 Bay SATA to USB 2.0 JBOD / Spanning Enclosure - Server RAID Systems so I can do it as JBOD and use it to back up my current drives. I have considered getting 3 of these and not getting the two eSATA ones though.

Would USB 2.0 be fast enough to rip to and play DVDs from?

Whats the benefis of building an external server?

I also looked at the docs for the TR4U and it said that if DRIVE 1 fails, you lose all DATA if you re running in "combined" mode but if 3 fails, you only lose 3 and 4.

I bought a HD tower with port multiplier as well about a year ago, and I bought a cheap controller like the ones that come with your eSata towers and had quite a few problems with it.

It Made my pc freeze a few times, had very slow transfert speed (Sometimes, I couldn't even stream a DVD, picture was choppy and sound too, took me a while to realise my sata card was responsible for that). So my suggestion is to get a better raid card and it will probably save you some trouble. I bought a HighPoint RocketRaid 2314 and I nerver had a problem with it. The only thing I did was upgrade the firmware and install the latest drivers. After that everything worked like a charm.

Your USB 2 enclosure will be fast enough for streaming DVDs, but it will be slow to copy them to it... But if time is not a problem, then it will work well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom