50'' LED HDTV recommendations (1 Viewer)

May 6, 2012
Home Country
Thailand Thailand
I'm currently working on building a HTPC. At the same time I'm trying to find a new TV and hope to find recommendations here.

These are my requirements so far:

- LED (I was considering a Plasma before and like their picture quality while being cheaper than the new LEDs but changed my mind after reading about their heat and the image burn in)
- 50'' (everything below what would be too small while a 55'' or 60'' would be awesome but much more expensive in relation to the few inches more I would get)
- 1080p Full HD
- 3D only nice-to-have but not a must (I'm still not convicted by the home 3D technologies but more than happy to let someone convince me)
- can live without fancy apps and social TV whatsoever thingies (am building a HTPC box anyways)
- Budget: around 1,000 EUR (I'm not on a shoestring and can spend more but don't want to burn money either)

I was looking around a lot (have to add that I'm living in Bangkok where it can be difficult to find certain hardware or products) and so far I liked:
- Samsung for its picture quality and flat panels
- Sony for its picture quality and overall style, though seemed to be comparably more expensive
- LG for its 3D (was the only TV that I tried which really surprised me positively regarding 3D)

Opinions welcome!

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    In Sweden there is a site that lists products by popularity/price and allows users to post comments about products they bought and what not (prisjakt.nu).
    Anyway, as the second most popular LED TV over '50 they list this one: Sharp Aquos LC-60LE831S and that will almost fit in your budget.
    I'm moving this fall and have looked around a bit preparing to get a new TV and that one is number one on my list right now.

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have the following in my home; 52" Sony, 55" Samsung and a 70"Sharp. without a doubt the samsung is the winner for picture quality.
    The Samsung has better color contrast, less reflection on the screen then any of the others.
    The Sharp is fantastic because of its size, but can't compete with the samsung, just nowhere near the same quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom