Ongoing A boy and his box (1 Viewer)

Spherix

February 26, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
No, literally. I'm putting the hardware in a cardboard box.

As I have recently discovered MediaPortal via a friend of mine, I started getting interested in it's possibilities. Time for me to dig up the hardware of my old PC and build a PC that could run mediaportal. The idea I have in mind is to use it in the livingroom, since my own room (Still living with parents, don't worry, I'm only 18 ;)) is suited with PC/surround etc. already.

Fine, I had the hardware but no case. Solution: Cardboard boxes!. It might sound silly, but I proved my concept already. Since the PC itself will be put behind the TV in the livingroom, I saw no need for building a fancy case -yet-, so I thought I might just go with something simple. It all fits perfectly, the PSU & HDD on the bottom, a cardboard sheet ontop of them, and ontop of that sheet comes my mainboard and videocard. It all fits within a very tiny box (picture to come).

Now I wasn't really wondering if the following specifications would be sufficient (The only thing that might worry me is the videocard ;)) but if they wouldn't burn up the cardboard :oops:

CPU: Amd Athlon 64 3400+ 2,2ghz 1MB Cache
MB: MSI K8N Neo3 Platinum Nforce 4
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ, 750GB (OR Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 320GB, I have to decide in which PC I'd like my new HDD (the 750GB).
PSU: Brandless 320WATT
GPU: Nivdia Gforce 4 MX 440 128MB AGP

15gqcmg.gif

I will probably make something under the mainboard to support it, and give it a chance to get rid of any hot air below it. The main thing I'm wondering about is if it would be better to put the 120MM fan in such way to either suck air out, or blow air in. And weither I should make some more ventilation holes.

(Note: final version will be a box that is slightly bigger then my mainboard, so the 120MM fan will be placed inside, not outside.)

Since my camera is currently in the charger, I made some 'nice' pictures with MSPaint to give an idea of the box itself.

Pictures to follow of the livingroom/box in its current state.

SwingSultan

Portal Pro
July 5, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany

Lukky

Portal Member
February 23, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I want to see pics of the lego case. I love legos when i was a Kid. THat sounds like something I could go for. Almost like a center piece for conversation. Sweet!!!

Love me@lukky
Dustin

SwingSultan

Portal Pro
July 5, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
due to a hdd crash i dont have any pictures of it. but to make your imagination go bananas ill describe it for you. it was a lage wooden plate with a legocastle like design on top of it with hoses running through it. the hoses were of course from my water cooling system ;) but this design really took a lot of space (little less than a square meter) and due to the large surface i didnt had enough lego to completely cover the top. this huge flaw came crystal clear to my mind when i was opening a bottle of soda next to it and thousand little drops of water almost killed my hardware. the next project is a selfmade cubic case called the purple cube due to its large deep purple logo on the sides. but i still have to work out lots and lots of details with it. but when its finished it will have big fat tyres and everything (insider ;) )

so spherix i know about crazy cases and trust me when i tell you that its a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom