[Blog] A Forum User's Lament (1 Viewer)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Our MediaPortal forums are famous for the level of support they provide from 'expert' users and even MediaPortal developers. However, we often hear from users having trouble finding the information they need, or asking the same questions again and again because they can't find it. We have all had the experience of wading through tons of repetitive forum posts or finally finding a link or answer only to discover it is no longer valid.

I recently had some discussions with a MediaPortal user: rogerleifert about this, and decided to post a summary in this Blog: A Forum User's Lament

What do you think? Express yourself by posting in this thread. ;)

2good4you

September 3, 2006
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey Folks@MP!

Thanks for your ongoing support and dev of mp!
    And thanks for some mind games about the future of finding information and solutions.

I have one question:
    Would it be possible to connect the search funtion to crawl and present answers of both information stores the forum and the wiki?

It would be perfect if the result could also state from which information store the answer has been generated and when the corresponding article has been updated. If you could implement this kind if search function a big part of redundancy could be prevented and it would also be possible to find forum posts and copy/move their information to the wiki.

Just my 2 cents in the morning ;-)

Greetings from Berlin

Ralf

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Welcome to the team, Roger! Your help is very much appreciated :)

2good4you, that's a very good idea but I'm not sure the software supports it. I'll ask our forum admin.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I just want to say thanks to rogerleifert.

It is all too easy to moan that things are not documented or working as they should but all users should remember that MP is an open source product and that includes the wiki. Each and every forum member is able to update the documentation where they find issues and in doing so this frees up the devs to actually do development.

So if you can't find the answer to your question in the wiki then add it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom