A leap of faith... (1 Viewer)

David Taylor

December 6, 2014
Apex, NC
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
OK so after dumping 10's of dollars into MediaBrowser over the last 5 years, I am actually considering making a move to MediaPortal. What can I say, it looks cool. I have a couple of questions, though. First, there is a lot of information in a lot of places on the MP web site. Is there an official 'how to' guide as far as install and set up? Also, one of the main reasons I want to make the switch is my MKV's are not making it to my receiver in 5.1 for some reason (although when I stream them to my WD TV Live box in another part of the house that receiver does recognize all channels) which leads me to believe I have a codec problem. I downloaded and installed Shark 007 codecs, but I am considering removing them since it made no difference. Will MP carry any codecs with it that would solve this issue for me?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Welcome!
    Is there an official 'how to' guide as far as install and set up?
    Try the wiki. This is gonna be the best place to start.
    but I am considering removing them
    Yes, please do this. Codec packs lead to various issues.
    Will MP carry any codecs with it that would solve this issue for me?
    If your system is not too messed up, yes. MediaPortal comes with LAV which should take of most video files. Maybe/probably you'll have to enable bitstreaming in LAV Audio Codec, if you're connected your AV-Receiver via HDMI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom