A tip for stutter free blu-ray playback (1 Viewer)

spiderwheels

Portal Pro
October 28, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
This may have been discussed before but I haven't found it.

I have just added a blu ray drive and had terrible trouble with stutter / jerky playback. It was not caused by frame rate. I would have smooth play back for a few minutes and then a block of stutter followed by further smooth playback. I tried PowerDVD and TMT.

Anything else on my HTPC (e.g. High Def TV channels and H264 files) play perfectly.

I read several similar issues on other forums but most seemed to give up and live with it.

My solution: make sure your blu ray and HDD aren't using the same SATA channel / controller

Back in the days of IDE cables (when one cable was used to connect two drives to one IDE channel) it was common knowledge not to put HDD and optical drives on the same cable. Now we have a discreet SATA cable for each drive it's not immediately obvious that the same problem still exists.

So I had my HDD in SATA_0 and blu ray in SATA_1. According to BIOS these are Master and slave on the same channel. What is rather confusing is that when I moved my blu ray to SATA_2 it still appears as Master and Slave on the same channel! Only when I moved to SATA_3 did the blu ray appear on a different channel (although still as slave).

I've just watched the first 5 minutes of a couple of blu rays and they were both smooth as silk.

I hope this information is useful to other people with stutter problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom