A8N-VM CVM alternative? (1 Viewer)

nettech_gt

Portal Pro
January 19, 2006
I currently have a ASUS A8N-VM CSM and I like it for the most part.....except I'm trying use a laptop HD and even with newest BIOS revison (1001) its not being detected. I contacted ASUS and they told me they won't support it because its not a "recommended configuration" so does anyone have expierence using a laptop hard drive in similarly equiped 939 motherboard? (on board DVI, Nvidia chipset etc.)

boobee

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    hi, same board, same bios, Hitachi 60GB 2,5", no problems at all. does it spin up at least at boot?
    have you tried another 2,5 hdd (if you can grab a spare one of course..)?

nettech_gt

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2006
    This is what I sent to ASUS "support":

The mother board I'm having an issue with is in a Media Center PC I'm trying to install a laptop HD
    (Fujitsu MHR2020AT) to reduce noise and heat. (a 3.5 HD was used previously with sucess)
    However I'm un able to get the BIOS to recognize it. I have purchased a 44 pin to 40 pin IDE adapter
    and connectd the laptop HD to the primary IDE channel with nothing in the secondary channel =
    mother board dosen't see it. I swithced IDE cables with a brand new cable = no change. I tried a
    different brand and model HD (IBM Travel Star DJSA-220) = no change. I updated the BIOS to 1001
    and tested again = BIOS sucsessfully flashed, but HD still not recognized. I know the laptop HD is
    good and the adapter is good because I also connectd them to another ASUS motnerboard
    (P4P800) in another computer and it was detected just fine. What can be done to fix this issue?

This was there response:

"Dear Sir/Madam

Unfortunately this is not a recommended configuration. If is is not reading correctly unfortunately we do not have any support for the issue.

Tim
    Asus Support Team. "

nettech_gt

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2006
    The IBM drive I tried dosen't spin up, but the Fujitsu does but hangs on the BIOS screen. What is the model of the Hitachi drive you are using?

boobee

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Nice "support" Asus!

my disk is an old 60GB 4200RPM model IC25N060ATMR04-0.
    You could even think about 2,5" sata drives, no 3,5" -> 2,5" adapter involved, and prices are getting very low.

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Instead of allowing the bios to automatically configure its settings, try setting up the drive paramaters manually in the bios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom