Access control to TV Channels and Recordings ? (1 Viewer)

romadd64

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Mediaportal has access control (PINCode based) for movies and music.
    Especially if you have a multiseat setup, I think that something similar could be useful in TV Section, to handle scenarios like these :

Scenario 1 : You are checking new channels, but don't want to make them available to your family (High WAF) until you are sure that they have no receive problems. Yes, you can disable the "All Channels" group on your clients and just put these channel here, but it might be better to assign them to a group that only you can see and use (if you have DVB-S you know what a mess is to move in a 2000+ list of channels).
    Scenario 2 : You have channels that you don't want/need your children or wife can see
    Scenario 3 : If you record a lot as in my case, then your recorded list became a nightmare of items to search. Could be nice to choose who could see a recording in the list (and play it). Your wife his soaps, your children their cartoons, you your sports events, or even a combination of these (you with cartoons and sport events :D).

My proposal :
    1 - PinCodes are defined on TVServer and have an alias (like mom, dad, all....) associated
    2 - Each client has a default TV PINCode (saved locally or in the TVServer)
    3 - Who use that client can change temporarily the TV PINCode until an event occurs (standby, shutdown...)
    4 - For each Channel Group, on TVServer can be associated a PINCode list that can access the group (the group isn't visible on EPG, channel list, etc...)
    5 - Each recording can be associated (by user interface on the client) to a PINCode list. A Recording can be listed and viewed only to client having one of those PINCode. Each PINCode in the list is choosed from the list of alias at point 1. By default the PINCode list is that associated to the groups to which the recording channel belongs.

I'm currently working on this, and at the moment point 2 and 4 are working, I have only to complete the user interface.

I'm willing to develop all this points, but I think it would be difficult to do as a plugin, as it touch internal components of MP. So maintain it at each new release or SVN (like Disaster123 with it's MP version) could be very difficult and I have no spare time to commit on this.
    I think that the effort to develop my proposal would be justified only if I know that can be of common interest, and if Mediaportal Team want to integrate it in the official release sometime.

Please, give me you feedback on this.
    Thanks, romadd64

Bussiebaer

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Nothing that helps you right now, but 4TheRecord has Multiuser-support in the pipeline for the (not so near, i fear) future. Maybe you have a look at the thread and post your suggestions there too. The chance is that if you or someone else switch to 4TR, they can use the feature there too. And since the 4TR-Developer can concentrate more on the TV-Part, the chances that the feature is faster ready are higher as inside MP.
    For The Record - View topic - Multi-user support

romadd64

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Bussiebaer,
    I know 4theRecord, but I don't like the idea of having an alternative TVPlugin.
    I would prefer that the features were part of of the official TVPlugin.

romadd64

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom