Tools and other software Access media files on a linux server for playback on MP (1 Viewer)

antimatter

April 10, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi all,
for some time now I've been thinking about some aspects regarding my future HTPC system. So far, I prefer to setup the following components:
- linux-based server (central data storage for media, documents, etc)
- windows-based HTPC with MediaPortal (and tv tuner card) connected to a TV
Server and HTPC will probably communicate wirelessly.

The question I couldn't answer so far is: how do I access the media files - especially video files - on the server from the HTPC? Direct access to the servers filesystem via shared folders? Or would streaming be a better solution? What software would be needed on the server in order to offer all the movies (and tv series) as a stream for a client such as MP ?

I already have a small library of movie files, mostly MP4 and MKV containers. Sources are DVD and Bluray discs I own. These files contain H.264 video and ACC audio (5.1). Some have Subtitles in IDX/SUB and PGS format as well as chapter information. So, multichannel, the mentioned subtitle formats and the chapter information must be streamed properly. For the moment, I use my PC as a home cinema (sort of) with the movie files on an external USB hard drive. So, the shared folders method should definitely work (but could be a bad method).

What would be your (much appreciated) advice?

Best regards,
antimatter

mattjcurry

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2011
    If you use FreeNAS or something similar, you can access the files as a windows share, use NFS if you have Win 7 Ultimate, or mount an iSCSI LUN.

I think that most people use Windows Shares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom