Accessing TitanTV for EPG in USA for MP1 (1 Viewer)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Care to comment on its use for MP1?
    You can use EPG-Buddy with every TV Engine that is XMLTV compatible. This includes MP1, MP2, Argus, NextTV, DVB-Viewer,...

There is one comfort function, the matching of channel names read from TV Database, that needs to be written individual for every TV engine. But you always can match channel names manually. This way you can use EPG-Buddy together with nearly every TV Solution for PC.

Because I only use MP2, help by MP1 users was needed to add this comfort feature for MP1 too. That's why the support for MP1 was added later. In meantime support for MP1 with MySQL and also MSSQL is included and fully working. MP1 and MP2 are both fully supported in recent version of EPG-Buddy.

At the moment I try to support ArgusTV too, But this is not finished yet.

In future there may be comfort functions that won't be added (or even possible) for MP1, mainly because the MP1 database is not centralized and unified as it is in MP2. But this is not the case for the recent version of EPG-Buddy and even if some day such functions will be implemented they don't prevent EPG-Buddy from working with MP1, promised...

John David

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2016
    Lancaster County, PA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Lehmden,

Well, This sounds exciting. I'll work on this avenue to see if it works for me. Thanks to everyone and all the ideas you've given me!!

John David

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2016
    Lancaster County, PA
    Home Country
    I've loaded EPG Buddy, but cannot confirm that it is either easy nor viable in the case of OTA in USA on MP1. I'm probably simply missing something important in the instructions. If anyone has been successful, I'd love to hear about it. I cannot configure it when it does not show me how to enter the channel names. All of the providers offered (and they're a lot, but TitanTV is not among them) appear to be cable or dish channels. I'm unable to find a way to enter my location or tap into any of the 7 channels my MP1 can access. I really wanted this to work. It sounded so user friendly.

I guess I'm back to trying to get MC2XML mc2xml to work. I'll re-read the advice given by some others and try them. Again, thanks to all who have been trying their best to help me!!

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    EPG-Buddy offers direct support for some external EPG data sources. For USA we recommend tvguide.com. It's free of charge, fast, reliable and offers a wide range of lineups and channels. You need to register on their page (as told, it's free) and set up your lineup there. Then you can use EPG-Buddy to configure the downloaded data to match the settings in MP. And it also downloads the data automatically on a daily base, once you've set up the schedule in EPG-Buddy.

If TVguide.com did not match your needs you can use WebGrab+Plus or external XML files to get your data. Both is more complicated and in case of WebGrab a lot slower. I don't have access to TitanTV so I don't know if you can download the data as XML there. If yes you easily can use it together with EPG-Buddy when utilizing "external XML" in the "Global" section of EPG sources...

@breese maybe you can help here. The usage for MP1 is identical to the usage for MP2 with one exception... On the "Setup TV database" tab you need to check MySQL (or MSSQL if used as db for MP1) instead of SQlite (db for MP2), enter the needed credentials (MySQL defaults are... Server: localhost, User:root, password:MediaPortal).
    upload_2017-11-3_8-12-16.png

Once saved and after the restart of EPG-Buddy the "rest" of the usage is completely identical to MP2...

John David

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2016
    Lancaster County, PA
    Home Country
    cewillis,
    I'm embarrassed to admit that I've managed to fail miserably at fixing my beloved MP. We are now using hauppauge wintv software even though it lacks some of the classy elements of MP. I've lost courage to try further fixes, but may return to move through the steps so many kind folk have offered in this thread; perhaps, when I either get more courage to try again or get fed up with wintv. Thank you for asking. I do appreciate it and all the kind advice I had been given. I simply wasn't able to get the job done this time. I suspect I'm doing something wrong but can't seem to make it work. In fact, the Titan skin is now out of whack. When the image for TV shows up the word "Radio" appears. So I click on radio to watch previously recorded shows. Yep. I've got a mess on my hands. Sigh.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    John,
    We actually have fairly similar systems, except you have a much more current MP version, and are getting TV via antenna.
    If you decide to return to MP, I would show you how I get tvguide data, if you're interested. Hauppauge tells me that they do not contract with TitanTV, so I don't think you'll ever successfully get data from TitanTV for very long. (while using Hauppauge tuners)
    Just as a personal preference, I use the simplest skin possible (just want the controls, not a bunch of other cra - stuff). (which is a prime reason for not changing to MP2)

Cal

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom