Account deactivation (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

barsk

Portal Member
December 9, 2005
I got my account deactivated due to inactivity. I have nothing against this in general, however I feel that the inactivity time is set way to low. There has not been any major releases for at least 6 months so the need to be "active" has been minimal. I have been reading posts regularly - from different computers. Perhaps my account wasn't logged in?

I am an interested user of MP and I do want to keep my account without having to recreate it. I suggest the following:

1) Increase the inactivity timout time to a reasonable length. One year perhaps?

2) If possible configure the forum to issue a warning before deactivating.

Ok, this is not a big deal, I can cope. But if fixed, I would be happier of course! :)

Regards
Barsk

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
My comment is going to come across as a bit snarky and full of attitude......sorry.

Take a look at what happens when too many users submit too many "feature requests".....do a search for SMIRNOFF LEAVING.

No offence, although I understand that your request is important to you, in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty minute.

-Make sure you're logged in while reading posts
-Make a positive post when you see something you like (perhaps a new feature being added, or even just a post to say thanks to the devs)

A year for inactivity is a bit excessive. Most forums have their account pruning set to between 3 and 6 months of inactivity (which is reasonable).

Everyone would be happier if things worked exactly as they specifically wanted, but as the Rolling Stones said, "You can't always get what you want!", so best idea is to cope with the way things are.

Again, I'm not trying to be an ass.....but due to recent developments, we (the users) need to learn to wipe our own ass (proverbially) and stop depending on the devs to do every little thing.

TheVideoViking

Portal Pro
November 30, 2004
Groningen, Netherlands
Although I agree with Khris somewhat, I don't think barsk is being unreasonable or impolite, or that any dev would leave or feel insulted in anyway over this post. We should stay open to ideas that help to imrove. If there are a lot of people suppoerting the idea of barsk, then maybe it would be a good idea to extend the period, on the other hand, maybe it wouldn't. But these kinds of posts should remain possible.

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
TheVideoViking said:
Although I agree with Khris somewhat, I don't think barsk is being unreasonable or impolite, or that any dev would leave or feel insulted in anyway over this post. We should stay open to ideas that help to imrove. If there are a lot of people suppoerting the idea of barsk, then maybe it would be a good idea to extend the period, on the other hand, maybe it wouldn't. But these kinds of posts should remain possible.

Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't hinting that the request was unreasonable or impolite......and I wasn't trying to say that these posts shouldn't be allowed.

I'm simply saying we need to start evaluating feature requests (not just for MP) to determine if the time necessary to implement them is less then the value of the end result.

Perhaps we need to have a moderated feature request forum where feature requests are submitted privateyl to a main repository, then those requsts are entered into the system where users can vote. The requests/ideas with the higher votes can then be submitted to the developers for possible implementation, again depending if the time necessary to implement them is less then the value of the end result.

Thoughts?

TheVideoViking

Portal Pro
November 30, 2004
Groningen, Netherlands
I like the voting forum idea. And it might be a good idea to run a poll on this request.

I'm glad we agree on that post like this must be allowed. I'm no developer or moderater, and I don't know what in the end made Smirnoff leave (I read there was somekind of an instult, but I didn't read it), but personally I think that even the most idiotic feature request can be posted as long as they are requests, not demands. And this one is a nice excample of a polite request.

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
Everyone has their own idea of what they consider to be "Important", however if no one else agrees, then it's really a waste of the developers time to code that specific feature, just for one person.

I think this is the problem that's been going on. Everyone and their dog are putting through requests (which they feel are important, and are entitled to feel as such), however they don't really understand that some of their requests really mean nothing to other people. They then get upset, and harass the developers as to when their request will be filled.

TheVideoViking

Portal Pro
November 30, 2004
Groningen, Netherlands
I see the problem, that's why I somewhat agree whith what you were saying. But sometimes the best idea's are simple and not wished for before. If there is something you wish for and it is uninportant, it won't catch on anyway. So I don't have a problem with requests, only with the haressment.
I saw you posted a feature request proposal, seems a good idea. I really support it.
And again, I appriciate what you are trying to do. It just that I think some people might get the wrong idea and stop posting while all we want is that they don't go harresing.

barsk

Portal Member
December 9, 2005
Well, it seems my litte suggestions for improvements have created a little stir in the system. As Khris states, in the grand scheme of things this my be a small thing, but for me in the situation I was in - the deactivation of my account was irritating. Not that difficult to recreate - but still irritating.

I never intended for the administrator of this forum to start developing new functionality. I assumed/hoped for the possibility to configure the forum to allow for at least a warning message prior to deactivation - that would really suffice. If that existed I could just "ping" the forum to tell it to have me active for another few months before pruning.

However, if there is no easy way of doing this with configuration - then the request for this feature should really belong with the creators of the forum engine. How to reach them on the other hand, I have no idea...

All in all - if you guys have to choose between fixing the forum or implementing new great functionality in MP. Then by all means choose MP! I can cope for sure with the forum as it is.

Regards
Barsk

luke

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Ok guys, to get back on topic. I tried to select 1 year for all the account deletions. The criteria for deletion inlcluded users that have never logged in, users who hadn't activated their accounts, users who hadn't posted within 1 year and other such catagories. I'm sorry for the deletion, but i have already started a thread concerning this. If you'd like please post back to that thread. This thread has got offtopic.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom