add to playlist when using party shuffle (1 Viewer)

M

mdhare

I use mediaportal mostly for music organization on my TV.

It would be great if, when using the party shuffle, you could inject stuff into the playlist via normal browsing. When you do this now, nothing seems to happen.

Ideally, selecting a song would put it next in the queue (ahead of any others randomly chosen by the party mode).

I also second the desire to be able to move files around in the playlist.

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
mdhare said:
I use mediaportal mostly for music organization on my TV.

It would be great if, when using the party shuffle, you could inject stuff into the playlist via normal browsing. When you do this now, nothing seems to happen.
Really? This should work - if you press Y (add to playlist button) in normal browsing the song should be added to the bottom of the playlist. I'll have a look at this - I need to fix some bugs in this anyway...

mdhare said:
Ideally, selecting a song would put it next in the queue (ahead of any others randomly chosen by the party mode).
Programatically, I can't find anywhere to store whether the song is a party shuffle song or an added song, so this is why I haven't implemented this.

mdhare said:
I also second the desire to be able to move files around in the playlist.
This is not that hard to do in code. Problem is, how do you want to do this in the interface? Right now, no more buttons can be added (no space on mce skin), and clicking on a song moves it to be the next song played.

Any suggestions on how?

Sam

M

mdhare

Sam-

You are right, I did not do through enough testing to see that the added item was out of the view of the playlist, but came into view if you skipped down, thanks!

I have two thoughts about the user interface for moving songs. I have not used MP for TV functionality so I don't know if this breaks design paradigms, but..

1) When you hit 'enter' on the playlist mode for music, it takes your currently selected song and moves it up to be the next song in queue. What if, instead, the first click of enter allowed you to move the file around in the queue order?

Ie, song #1 currently playing.
I hit enter on song #10. I then move the song up to spot #4 (repeated up arrows) and hit enter again.

So the new playing order would be song #2, #3, #10, #5, #6.. etc

Downside is that this breaks the enter key automatically promoting files to the top of the queue; is this used a lot by the userbase?

2) Another possibility; Could the 'play' key be reprogrammed to do essentially what the enter key does now? It seems that during playback, the play key and the pause key do essentially the same thing. Use the pause key to pause/unpause payback, while the play key could start the immediate playback of the selected item.

Thoughts?

I haven't looked at the code, but I'm a somewhat capable perl hacker. If we come to a workable solution but there isn't staff time to tackle the problem, I might give it a go.

-Michael

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
mdhare said:
Sam-

You are right, I did not do through enough testing to see that the added item was out of the view of the playlist, but came into view if you skipped down, thanks!
No probs.

mdhare said:
I have two thoughts about the user interface for moving songs. I have not used MP for TV functionality so I don't know if this breaks design paradigms, but..

1) When you hit 'enter' on the playlist mode for music, it takes your currently selected song and moves it up to be the next song in queue. What if, instead, the first click of enter allowed you to move the file around in the queue order?

Ie, song #1 currently playing.
I hit enter on song #10. I then move the song up to spot #4 (repeated up arrows) and hit enter again.

So the new playing order would be song #2, #3, #10, #5, #6.. etc

Downside is that this breaks the enter key automatically promoting files to the top of the queue; is this used a lot by the userbase?
I like the idea...but personally I like the current system better... However, I was also thinking to use the Play button to do the current 'Enter' key functionality, and then use the Enter key to do the song swapping like you described above.

Overall though, its what you guys want really... any opinions from anybody else?

mdhare said:
2) Another possibility; Could the 'play' key be reprogrammed to do essentially what the enter key does now? It seems that during playback, the play key and the pause key do essentially the same thing. Use the pause key to pause/unpause payback, while the play key could start the immediate playback of the selected item.
I'm not sure if the play key and the play button (on the playlist screen) do the same thing, but in the current release version, there was a bug where the next and play buttons did not function properly. I have fixed this and its in the CVS. With the fixed functionality, the next key correctly plays the next song in the list, and the play button now immediately starts playing the selected song. So if you use the keyboard arrows and highlight the wanted song, then press the "left" key to go to the buttons and select play, it will play the song you highlighted before immediately.

If you want to try this out, you'll have to wait till the next release or compile it from CVS.

mdhare said:
I haven't looked at the code, but I'm a somewhat capable perl hacker. If we come to a workable solution but there isn't staff time to tackle the problem, I might give it a go.

Feel free to check out the source code and add improvements. Coming from a scary language like perl should make C# look easy to grasp (I hate all the symbols and syntax of perl - I find it so hard to read...).

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom