Forum Adding an option to make system specs public and searchable (1 Viewer)

burzelmann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 21, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello folks,

I really love the system specification option in the "new" board software but I think the collected data is wasted if only shown on user profiles/posts.
    Wouldn't it be great for HTPC newcomers if they could view a list of user systems somewhere on the site and perhaps filter it for a certain type of hardware (e.g. they only use intel cpus) to get a clue which kind of hardware combinations work?
    I imagine that you can set an option (e.g. "make public") in your system specs and a certain system would then show up in the list.

Please tell me if I overlooked any aspects on this idea and what you think about it.

Greetings

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    I like that idea but probably its difficult to maintain such. E.g. there are soooooo complicated products names like motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H. I doubt everyone will fill this in correctly. And how should that be filtered/searched then? Maybe @high has an idea?

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    that data is not really comparable cause literally anything is added to these fields. Also it doesn't indicate if it's working or not. Especially as it it is used mostly for bugreports...there's a good chance you end up with a problematic constellation.

What we think about atm is a separate database of usersystems ('showroom') within the repository system where any user can show off his systems in detail with pictures, descriptions aso.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom