Adding Non Tagged files to library (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have some AC3 files that I want to add to my music library but these are obviously not tagged.

I am assuming that I can add them manually to the database. I would need to add records to or pickup existing value from
    albumartist
    artist
    genre

Then add the tracks into
    tracks

or is there an easier way of doing this (I am guess that unticking the "don't import unknown tracks" is likely to make matters harder)

KevL

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    I have long regretted that MP Music cannot extract tag info from directory structure and directory names. But, as far as I'm aware, it cannot. All my music is untagged so I just use the shares view.

K

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Right I managed to find some time to play around. I succesfully managed to add some non-tagged AC3 files to the music database and all worked ok.

I ended up adding records directly in the SQLite database which is not ideal if you have lots of untagged files. (Unticking the option above did not appear to do anything)

Think I will look at creating something more automated if I get the chance

KevL

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    If you have the skills to add an automated means of deriving tag data from directory structure then I think it will be a very popular addition.

I think a new tab dialogue in MY MUSIC setup easily provide the config for such a setup.

Ive seen a schemes for handling this whereby one had to identify the info in each level of the directory tree

e.g.
    tree root = d:\Music
    1st level = genre
    2nd level = artist
    3rd level = album name
    filename = %track number% " - " "track title"

then tags can be populated trivially.

I guess a number of list boxes all pre-populated with the tag names recognised by MP would be the ideal control. The user would simply select the correct tag depending on the directory structure.

Splitting up filenames would be trickier. Regular expressions can be very cryptic looking. Many would stuggle with them - and break the DB???

Not sure how much work is involved.

I could easily write routine to extract the tags by parsing the pathname/filename but I wouldn't know how to put this in the SQL database. Providing controls on a tab dialog doesn't sound too hard.

It all sounds eminently do-able.

Kev

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Well, if you have the Music so well organised in this way, then you could use one of the taging tools around to aautomatically tag the files.

yes, i understand, that there are file formats, which don't allow proper tagging.
    i'll have a look into it, but maybe because of the feature freeze, it'll not make it into 1.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom