[Pending] Adding support for Right-to-left languages (Hebrew, Arabic...) (1 Viewer)

velis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2009
    Radovljica
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Sorry I couldn't write the sample in C#, seems Python was too different :(

IMHO, the errors in rendering are because:
    1. It seems whitespace is not the only thing that should be processed differently: symbols should too (0x00 - 0x2f, 0x3a - 0x3f, 0x5b - 0x5f, 0x7b - 0x7f)
    2. The "<space>2" is a problem because you don't take into account that the locale is RTL. The spaces around reversed direction script section should be rendered as part of original script direction. Only the spaces within reversed script section should render as part of that section direction. Darn, this sounds complicated but it's not.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This sounds reasonable, will try to implement this!

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I spent some more hours in testing of algorithmen, none was perfect (no surprise though!). So back to start.

As I've read about DirectWrite, I digged more into the API description and found very useful things for our task:
    TextLayout does everything which I tried to implement manually. In combination with a custom renderer this brings us much further now. I implemented a custom renderer, which now takes the "pre-processed" textparts, along with position info and an RTL/LTR indicator.
    My current logic still tries to bring string into matching order. This will have issues and is only temporary.

The final solution will be to let the custom renderer directly create the BitmapCharacters and their positions. Once this is done, we should have correct support for LTR, RTL and mixed contents.

For code look at: https://github.com/morpheusxx/Media...AssetCore/TextRenderOrderProcessor.cs#L43-L63

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    After two days of vacation I continued the switch to DirectWrite based layouting. Once I've set correct font sizes and direction factors (-1/1) the result is nearly correct:
    07_directwrite_layouting.png

The only differences remaining are caused by different kerning / offset values from FreeType / DirectWrite implementation: you'll see a small "cut off" on left side of RTL-strings and some "scollable margins" on right side (text one above "Latest media" starts to scroll on focus)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The more steps you take, the more problems you encounter ;)

I've added RTL support for TextBuffer, scrolling larger text now considers RTL if selected culture depends on it.

Then I introduced "default HorizontalAlignment" for controls and removed explicit values from XAML. The results are now as following:
    08_controls_RTL.png

09_latest_media.png

10_media.png

And for the latest example you can clearly see problems: the MediaItem buttons are using a GridPanel to layout contents. The category/title label now sticks on the right side. This would only be good, if the order would be swapped as well: Icon, title and last (left) the count.

Not sure how to proceed here...

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I was probably too fast to change the control's code. If I start at screen level and include a "mirror" into render matrix:
    Code:
        public RenderContext CreateInitialRenderContext()
        {
          Matrix transform = Matrix.Scaling((float)SkinContext.WindowSize.Width / _skinWidth, (float)SkinContext.WindowSize.Height / _skinHeight, 1);
          if (ServiceRegistration.Get<ILocalization>().CurrentCulture.TextInfo.IsRightToLeft)
            transform *= Matrix.Scaling(-1.0f, 1, 1) * Matrix.Translation(SkinContext.WindowSize.Width, 0, 0);
          return new RenderContext(transform, new RectangleF(0, 0, _skinWidth, _skinHeight));
        }
    This is the rendered result:
    11_layout_transform.png

Everything is mirrored, but all controls are working properly!

Remaining issue: The rendering of text should not be mirrored, but using orginal layout (at correct position!)

velis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2009
    Radovljica
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    I like what I see in the last post :)
    Can you calculate text width without rendering it? Then you could render the text using another mirror matrix from its end point.

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How much impact does the RTL support have on the performance? :)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How much impact does the RTL support have on the performance? :)
    I'd say close to zero impact. It involves only some matrix multiplications and the alternative measuring call using DirectWrite. For LTR you won't notice changes at all.

I worked on the mirroring layout and got a good step further. Text is now "mirrored back" to normal and will be shifted to opposite half of screen. There are still some minor things to solve, but in principle this should work well:
    15_mirror+label_orig.jpg

Now it gets a bit more complicated if you look at Titanium screenshots:
    12_mirror+label_orig.jpg

16_mirror+label_orig.jpg

13_mirror+label_orig.jpg 14_mirror+label_orig.jpg

While it looks good first, you'll notice that also graphics are mirrored! This is bad obviously, but may we can treat them like label and don't mirror them at all. I'll have to check how it could work, maybe we need to implement the logic the opposite way around.
    Btw, currently this effect would also be visible for video frames (as they are in principle textures as well).

Can someone who is able to read Hebrew confirm that the screen content is correctly? No mirrored texts?

Last edited:

ysmp

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 17, 2008
    Seoul.
    Home Country
    South Korea South Korea
    Hi Morph',
    my wife say all text is correct in all screens...
    only one issue ... in screen movies (the oblivion screenshot) the ":" not in the the correct side ... they need to be on left side....
    in the movie info labels .... see screenshot ....

Attachments

• 210349_16_mirrorlabel_orig22.jpg
      210349_16_mirrorlabel_orig22.jpg
      396.8 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom