[other] Advanced autorestart(crazy idea ??) (1 Viewer)

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi all.

I was just wondering if some sort of advanced auto restart would increase WAF factor. I mean for MP front end. TvServer is running very stable for me at least. Most problems that occur are related to the fact that MP front-end sometimes hangs totally, or if menus are working, then also button for restarting front-end would be good. This can be achieved with System.Forms.Application.Restart(); or something similar.

But to be more advanced there should be some hang detection also required to go beyond watchdog restart cababilities.

Small but annoying reasons for restarting frontend for me:
    - mini epg is empty or shows only few channels.(restart FE fixes) Full epg is still valid.
    - Total hang of FE. Mp won't take any commands.
    - Some other i can't recall right now.

This is just free thinking and it might be that it should not be taken so seriously.

regards,

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    - mini epg is empty or shows only few channels.(restart FE fixes) Full epg is still valid.
    Please provide a full bugreport with complete logs of MP and TVE.

Please remember and ask the plugin authors to fix their code.

We're only interested in fixing stability issues - not adding workarounds which might even break other code / features.

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Please provide a full bugreport with complete logs of MP and TVE.

Please remember and ask the plugin authors to fix their code.

We're only interested in fixing stability issues - not adding workarounds which might even break other code / features.

>>We're only interested in fixing stability issues - not adding workarounds which might even break other code

Yes I'm aware of that. And I thank portal dev for their efforts. Sadly I also think that Mp 1 path will not ever be totally stable.

There are number of reasons for that. For example architectural desing has some drops. Ex. GC.Collects here and there. They might bring some unexpected side-effects, while they try to hide nasty bugs.

And Did you take me too seriously ?. :D

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    only reason i see for something like that is when you get network disconnected and tv does not work until you restart mp.

but its a mantis issue so if they finally fix it, then no point in doing that.

as i explained to my family. if the htpc does not respond, starts to do crazy things or whatever. Just hit the restart button in the computer case ;)

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    only reason i see for something like that is when you get network disconnected and tv does not work until you restart mp.

as i explained to my family. if the htpc does not respond, starts to do crazy things or whatever. Just hit the restart button in the computer case ;)

That's why i'd like to see only Frontend restart. Restarting whole system messes reordings. And what see, is that it allways manages to happen when something important is recorded;). Server seems to do it's job very well in background. When Mp is totally hanged i can't even use taskmanager to kill process. So hang detector would be cool. I dunno if it's even possible, just wild idea.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain

That's why i'd like to see only Frontend restart. Restarting whole system messes reordings. And what see, is that it allways manages to happen when something important is recorded;). Server seems to do it's job very well in background. When Mp is totally hanged i can't even use taskmanager to kill process. So hang detector would be cool. I dunno if it's even possible, just wild idea.

oh i have a dedicated server which holds the tv card therefore no recording is messed up.

good luck then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom