Advice for new multi-seat setup (1 Viewer)

mtjoernelund

Portal Pro
April 28, 2008
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I am a long time user of MP in a single seat setup, but am now considering updating to a multi-seat with a multipurpose server and a couple of clients. Before spending the money I would like to hear some input.

First of all the server is going to live in my current case which holds room for five disks which I think should be plenty for now. I want the server to act both as MP tv-server, including iPimp for streaming to my iPhone, but also act as squeeze-box, file and web server, for my light weight use. I was planning one disk for OS, one for time shifting and a couple for storage. I expect to update to an intel i3 (to keep power low, but still have muscle for transcoding and image processing for private photo website) and 4gb of RAM. This obviously means new mp, but otherwise I expect that i can reuse current disks and Dvb-C tv-tuners. For software I was planning on running Win 7.

Does this sound reasonable?

For clients I was thinking of buying a couple of asrock vision machines. These comes both in a dual core 1.6 atom and in an i3 flavor. As far as I can see both should be able to run full-hd material, so the question is, if it is worth the extra money to go for the i3 instead of the atom? Does it run MP better? These two clients will only be used for mp front end and nothing else. Opinions seems to be mixed on this issue...

xetic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 29, 2010
    Bonn/Alfter
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Advice for new multi-seat setup

I think update to i3 for the server is the better way ;)
    I would buy a ssd for timeshift and a hdd with 7200 U/Min for OS...

To choce the hardware for the Clients are really difficult. The best way is a extra grafikcard like nvidia gt4xx/5xx or ati 6450... or you buy the new AMD Prozz A8xxx

xetic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 29, 2010
    Bonn/Alfter
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Advice for new multi-seat setup

i think yes! :)

because there is a Radeon HD 6550D-Grafikcore (600 MHz GPU) in the CPU ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom