Allow "External Player" for TV (1 Viewer)

18000rpm

Portal Member
August 4, 2005
Or better yet, add that as a standard feature for every plugin. For consistency's sake.

:)

Right now I can't use the TV plugin because it does not allow an external set-top-box which outputs on a specific TV channel. But the other plugins are awesome and I'd like to use them instead of myHTPC.

Thanks...

18000rpm

Portal Member
August 4, 2005
Pretty please...? It shouldn't be hard to add an "External Player" option to the TV plugin, since the DVD plugin already has the exact same feature.

It would be a GREAT way to entice Beyond TV and SageTV owners to try out Media Portal.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I guess your problem is that if you get MP to tune the external channel then you don't have the power to control the STB as MP thinks the channel is internal and doesn't give you the option to control an external box.

If that's the case, is it possible to experiment with the HIP app to make it control an external box?

A little more in depth, if you know what you are doing and you are good with a soldering iron you could find where the A/V signal goes into the RF Modulator inside your STB and tap into the A/V signal there. It's actually a lot easier than it sounds. Only problem is you'll void your warrantee or get in trouble if it is a rented STB.

Since I can't help with your feature request, these are the only two things I can offer. Let me know if you want instructions on getting to the A/V signals

18000rpm

Portal Member
    August 4, 2005
    Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the tip, but it sounds way too advanced for my ability. :)

Actually that's not the only reason I'm sticking with Beyond TV for now. I like the features such as remote scheduling via www.snapstream.net, and I also have a remote Beyond TV server that records shows which gets sync'ed to my local HTPC. If I switch to MP I'll lose the show info, etc.

Thanks...

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    My only other suggestion would be to use the MyPrograms plugin and somehow modify the home skin so that selecting MyTV calls Beyond via that instead. This is all wild speculation so I don't even know if that would work. Hopefully Waebred (sp) aka Daniel aka the creator of MyPrograms sees this and lets us know if it would work.

Good luck in your request and sorry I couldn't help furhter :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom