Alternative remote (RF ideally) (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Country flag
Now my Emprex 3009ARF has died I'm looking for another RF remote but there doesn't seem to be anything.
http://www.emprex.com/01_news_02.php?newsid=98

I actually thought I had the superior URF, which is discontinued. I could get another ARF but whilst it worked OK with my present room layout I'm going to be re-arranging soon and then it's likely I'll run into the ARF's limitations.

Whilst I very much liked the number of keys and shortcuts on the 3009, I have to admit the placement of the transport keys, at the top of the remote, wasn't exactly ergonomic and they were hard to reach when holding it, as one does, in the middle, so I guess this gives me an opportunity to get something with the transport keys in a more sensible position, in the middle below the directional pad, with the shortcut keys up the top instead.

If there's no RF alternatives I'll have to look at IR remotes I guess. Considering that the ARF probably wouldn't work if plugged into the back of my PC a couple of metres away, then I'd have to plug it into the front, or one a USB extension bringing it to the front, anyway so there's not much difference in having an IR remote at the front. Obviously it needs line of sight but that's not really a problem (I'd probably stick the receiver under my TV, as I did when using the Nova-T 500 one, as it's more natural to point the remote at the TV rather than the PC to the right of it).

So any suggestions with a nice appearance and good number of shortcuts like the 3009 (so many remotes seem to be an ugly grey with cheap looking rubber buttons) but reasonably priced (£10-15)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

I've been using version 1.2.2.0 for years and have found no need to upgrade to newer version. I hate it that skins loose compatibility with almost every new version. And new skins are too 'fancy' for my taste. I use a customized version of the default wide skin with only Videos and TV in the main menu. I use mediaportal for recording...
I've been using version 1.2.2.0 for years and have found no need to upgrade to newer version. I hate it that skins loose...
I've been using version 1.2.2.0 for years and have found no need to upgrade to newer version. I hate it that skins loose...
Replies
Views
I have a similar Configuration and made a Test-Install of MP2: Basically it's working, but one major thing I'm missing/don't understand is if IRSS is supported. Especially MP Control Plugin wich I used in MP1 to configure a lot of functions, individual Mappings, Macros... Therefore one elemtary Question: Is "MP Control Plugin"...
I have a similar Configuration and made a Test-Install of MP2: Basically it's working, but one major thing I'm missing/don't...
Since i switched to MP2 i had serveral issues getting my Harmony Remote (configured as MCE Remote) working nice with my build iMon...
Replies
Views
Hi. This is planed but not ready now. Our Wiki is in the middle of a transfer process from one software to a much better one. Behind the curtains there is lots of work going on regarding the documentation. Sadly there are only a few people who have time to work on this so it will take a while until it's finished. The Icons are...
Hi. This is planed but not ready now. Our Wiki is in the middle of a transfer process from one software to a much better one...
It would be nice to have a "Media Portal 2 for Windows Media Center Refugees" document/topic... I have successfully installed MP2...
Replies
Views
Here are a few details regarding my recent success with using EventGhost to handle the IR input from my remote and eliminate unwanted key repeats. Hopefully this will prove useful to others with a similar issue: I recently upgraded my HTPC to an i5 after an number of years using MePo v1 on a Core Duo. Although this was a fantastic...
Here are a few details regarding my recent success with using EventGhost to handle the IR input from my remote and eliminate...
Here are a few details regarding my recent success with using EventGhost to handle the IR input from my remote and eliminate...
Replies
Views
I have released an improved version of the config file and AutoHotKey script for the Ortek/Hama remote control, available from the post below: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/vista-mce-remote-control-vrc-1100.94301/page-6#post-1198295 -- from CyberSimian in the UK
I have released an improved version of the config file and AutoHotKey script for the Ortek/Hama remote control, available from the...
Hello! Upgrading to MP 1.12 gives me some trouble using my remote controls and defining the proper button codes in the proper...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom