Alternative to WMP as generic music player (1 Viewer)

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I use a "Remote Desktop" (Terminal Services Client) connection to maintain my music library and often need to listen to pieces in order to catalog them. MP will not run over my TSC connection because of its use of DirectX. In order to play music files, I activated WMP 11 (just because it was already there). Unfortunately, WMP at some point makes the system very unresponsive, even though I have told it not to scan my collection. What can I use as a simple (preferably free) music player with a small footprint?

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Thanks for the tip, but MediaMonkey seems like a lot more than I need. It appears to be a full-featured replacement for WMP. In particular, it maintains its own DB, something I already didn't like about WMP. To its credit though, it seems much cleaner and more economical of resources than WMP. One advantage of the Windows MC/WMP combination was that they at least used the same DB. Now that I've opted for MP in place of (the unusable) WMC), I don't want an additional DB if I can avoid it.
    Even Winamp, which used to be a simple, small-footprint player seems to be succumbing to feature creep in the latest version (5.5). Its setup program is almost twice as big as MediaMonkey's!
    I'm now looking at foobar2000, which is the smallest freeware/shareware contender I've found so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom