Alternatives to 4therecord/Argus (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

Despite spending nearly my entire weekend trying to get to grips with Argus, I finally gave up - despite loads of help from both here and the Argus forum, I just could not get it set up and working properly, despite the installation guide.

Anyway, I was wondering whether any of the features that Argus offered might be offered by way of a proper Mediaportal plugin.

The two things that I really was interested in was firstly the ability for more inteliigent scheduling - for example, if there was a clash and one of the programmes was available on a +1 channel or repeated another day, it would automatically record the clashed channel at another time.

And secondly, the ability to schedule recordings via the internet .

Is there anything out there that might be able to help?

Thanks

Alex

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
Thanks DieBagger - I shall check that out. Seems liek a great alternative.

Ray - thanks for your help on the Argus forum. For some reason, I just could not get my head around what was really needed to get Argus up and running.
I will not write it off but perhaps try again in six months - hopefully, someone might have put up a video installation guide on youtube as the installation guide seemed just a little complex on paper.

I shall try TVWishlist and see how that +1 option works.

The one major drawback that MP seems to be (unless there is a workaround that I have not discovered) is the lack of proper re-scheduling - which I used to use with my old Topfield PVR and also WMC - god forbid.

It is particularly troublesome for me as I have two DVB-T tuners and a single DVB-S2 tuner. I have to make the Freeview tuners the top two priorities, otherwise I lose lots of the Freesat channels when the DVB-S2 kicks in unnecessarily.

However, as MP appears to stricly record in order, I end up whereby the first two tuners are recording channels available on both Freeview and Freesat but then I suddenly cannot record something on Freeview only (particularly Dave or Quest). There should be something available to get round this problem.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
Had a bit of a brainwave to help avoid clashes in the first place.

Rather than just putting a series link record on the first time a new series starts, it is better to look around for repeats and choose any that happen to be on after about 1am. I have now changed all my series to record outside of the prime time slot whenever possible and this has already let me record a few programmes that I have had to avoid before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom