AmbiVision - new technology without any skills (1 Viewer)

solarlight

Portal Member
September 26, 2014
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
AmbiVision is a smart affordable content-driven ambient lighting system.This technology enlarges the screen by projecting a glow of light from 4 sides of the back of the screen onto the surrounding wall.

It is the first really standalone device connected by all video input standards like: VGA, HDMI, DVI, S-Video, Composite, Component. Because of this, it doesn’t require any extra skills, no configuration files and compatibility problems. AmbiVision supports all screen sizes up to 100 inches diagonally, and captures the screen from all games, video players, applications and so much more.

20150113085159-glowne.jpg

Campaign will end March 14. All kits in a special Indiegogo Prices:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ambivision-standalone-ambient-lighting-device/x/8427436

i9443b210e0780.jpg

What do you think about this solution?

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Looks interesting. Im not the biggest of fans of these HDMI to composite systems after having build one for a friend a couple of days ago. So this might be a good solution. Can you give some insight on what kind of micro controller you are using? Whats the strategy for smoothing? How does your "wall-adaptive function" work? Did you add a color sensor in you hardware?

Btw, the "compared to current backlight technologies" is quite biased and missleading ;).

Also, please stop spamming other threads with your campain. Thanks :).

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

a quick Review: I own a Abivision device since a few weeks and I'm mostly happy with it.
    • Mounting was quiete easy. After a hint in forum I bought some magnetic stripes a stick it to it, instead directly to back of TV.
    • The lightning is nice and nearly what I expected.
    • Quality of Hardware is ok, except the "Connectivity Pack" (would now by it by my own...). Some people reported also problems with plugs, mine seems to be ok.
    • Configuration did take some time and was frustating, because of some bugs at that time and the very "abstract" way via device without any GUI. Since last week, there is a configration wizard, so it's possible to connect the device to PC and configure in much easier way.
    • Support from developer is ok. Takes a few days for answering. Updates are released everey 2-3 weeks.
    In conclusion: There are still many things to improve and some bugs to solve, but I'm happy with and confident that they will solve it in near future.

Greetings

BERND

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the report, can you mabe add some pictures and a video of it in use? Would be interesting to see :).

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Somebody posted some quite represantive Pictures in the Ambivision Forum here.

It's shows espacially the actual Problems the device still has...

In my opinion the Problems aren't that serious under "real live" conditions (watching TV/Films), but have to be resolved in the near future of course!

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    On the Dutch forum (GoT) I see a lot of issues with Ambivision coming thru, from hardware to software so not sure what to make of it.
    They are still working at improving it and released a great Windows tool to program it recently so it might be fixable with a few updates.
    There's something new on the horizon though:

http://www.project-pyxis.com/

If they can do HDCP and 24P it's a better package however you are limited to 30 leds p/m with that one as well so still better off with Hyperion if you are doing large setups or just want more control (open-source / regular updates)

Last edited:

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    On the Dutch forum (GoT) I see a lot of issues with Ambivision coming thru, from hardware to software so not sure what to make of it.
    They are still working at improving it and released a great Windows tool to program it recently so it might be fixable with a few updates. ...

Well, unfortunately I have no good news, too. My device seems to be broken and gave up working since last weekend. (n)
    I will replace some of the plugs and connections, which cause problems by several other people and hopefully it will work again.

But it's very frustrating, because I did want a "out-of-the-box" solution and not another construction site (like Media Portal :rolleyes:)...

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    some Update:

After several Mails I did receive a new unit. Nearly all plugs and adapters are replaced.

At least: The System is doing fine since a few weeks and very happy with it! (y)

There are several things which could be even better or more comfortable, but it's ok actually. After several months the developer published a update, but unfortunatly I have Problems with it, too. So I downgraded and wait if someone can help me or wait until I have the muse to worry about it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom